GOM and OpSpecs manual formats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bizjet800

I am going through and updating our GOM and OpSpecs. They are in both MS Word and PDF. Each section is in a different file and folder and its very difficult to make revisions and amendments (i.e., make changes to headers/footers to match previous/following sections). I am a novice at Word so perhaps if I learned it better I could do it more efficiently.

Is there an easy template in MS Word or other format that would make it easy to make changes and updates? What I have is painstakingly intensive to go through and update things.

Thanks in advance!

It's a royal freakin pain in the rear. You just have to learn the ins and outs of Word. Once you get it down it's not so bad but the learning curve is a bitch!

I would recommend Adobe FrameMaker or something similar. This would allow you to set tags and references that could be searched later and establish all your manual interfaces.

For example, you could set all the FAR references as tags to the appropriate paragraph, and tie that to the ATOS SAI's and EPIs.

If you do it properly, it would then pull up all references to FAR 120 in the GOM, Station Manual and that becomes your manual interface table.

I know your pain.

I took over 135 management and the moron that wrote the original GOM and AAIP fk'd up the headers/footers so when you changed a date/revision number it changed a bunch for the next few pages since they were sync'd, so I know EXACTLY what you are going through. To remove the links without too much hassle (in the newer versions of word) you make a new pagein between where they are doing same as previous. Then you have to click on the empty page, go to "find" and then "goto page" there you will type \page Then click back on the blank page and click either delete or backspace. This will delete everything that is carrying over (at least this is the way it is in Office 2010 and .docx documents).

I know it sounds like a b(*ch, but the best way is to make a new one with all new formating so you know it is correct, and just copy/paste everything you possibly can. Honestly, in the long run it will save you time and effort from having to mess with everything every time you have to do a revision... and the first time the fed looks at it and admires the organization - that itself is worth the effort. Oh and OpSpecs are all on WebOps now right? At least our are, we just submit for any revisions and our POI will sign them off and we can print them off from the web and insert them into our OpSpecs.

Good luck!!! I just finished our new GOM, AAIP, MEL/OandM procedures and it was a pain in the rear.

Thanks Guys! I did figure out, after much hair pulling, that you can set page/section breaks in Word. It was extremely frustrating before I figured it out. Now if it was in Excel, it would be a snap since I know Excel quite well. I just haven't learned Word as well as I should. I will give Adobe Frame maker a look after the dust settles.

Thanks Again!

Latest resources

Back