Gold Seal CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AGI

Just took the AGI and CFI writtens last week; exactly the same questions, with the addition of 12 questions for the AGI test. Gleim has the same study book for both exams. If you already have CFI, all you need is test results, your CFI cert, picture ID and 8710. Takes about 10 minutes at the FSDO.

Difference as I understand it is that with the AGI you can instruct students other than your flight students in ground school. Otherwise you cannot give ground school to other students you are not flying with. Also--if you sign off your students for their checkrides under your AGI cert, if they bolo it doesn't count against your CFI (or so I am told). Of course, the student may be a bit upset if you send them off and they fail because you didn't adequetely prepare them...

PA

Question about Pass Rate

I'm wondering if sending a student for a self-examining Part 141 End-of-Course checkride counts as part of the demonstrated 80% to renew/get gold seal. If so, then I guess every student would be a pass, even if they fail on their first attempt, because it's a training course.

Also, is the required record just the student's name and date of checkride in your logbook? And will the FSDO accept estimations of dates, like within a week?

Thanks.

In response to Pilot Adjuster's post:

1.) A CFI can provide ground instruction to anybody, not just his flight students. see 61.93 governs instructor privleges, and there is no limitation on to whom an instructor may provide ground instruction. (I'm curious where you heard otherwise.)

2.) You cannot sign someone off for a checkride with a ground instructor certificate. (61.215)I believe it is true that if you sign someone off for a WRITTEN with your GI cert #, failures would count against your GI certificate.

Re: Question about Pass Rate

MasterFly said:
I'm wondering if sending a student for a self-examining Part 141 End-of-Course checkride counts as part of the demonstrated 80% to renew/get gold seal. If so, then I guess every student would be a pass, even if they fail on their first attempt, because it's a training course.

Most part 141 training schools are required to maintain a set pass rate in order to continue to exercise self-examining status and for that reason the students end of course check rides pass/fail rate is documented to the FSDO. Now I am pretty sure that if the successful completion of the "stage check" results in the student signing a completed 8710, then the answer is yes - this counts as a pass. But if the student fails a performance measure or maneuver during the stage check the eaminer send him back to you for additional instruction, then that counts as a fail!

I also used an Excel spread sheet that I generated from my log book and indicated not only the student name, but the type of check ride and whether the student/pilot passed or failed to document an 80% or better pass rate when I applied for my gold seal back in the day!

Last edited:
In response to Masterfly:

I hate to start quoting regs again but 61.189(b)(2) requires that you keep a record of each person you endorse for a knowlege or practical test including the kind of test, the date and the result. Whatever you've been doing to satisfy this requirement should satisfy the FSDO. Many people keep this record in their logbook. I would recommend that you consolidate the info onto one document for the FSDO though. If you didn't record the date, the friendly folks at OKC airman certification may be able to help you retrieve the data. (I know they have it.) Just explain to them that your CFI records were lost/stolen/destroyed, and you're trying to reconstruct them, and I'd imagine they'd help you out. I'm not too sure if I'd go and apply for the gold seal without having the documentation that you're required by law to keep.... Not bustin' your butt, just offering advice. (My records were not perfect, but I spent some time getting them in shape before I went down to the FSDO.)

Ok so I got it in my mind to take the AGI, I have the Gleim book but I understand there are also helicopter and other questions on the test (not very many). Where do I find those??? I know Gleim tells you to not worry but I want to make a good grade.
Thanks

141 recommendations

We were told to sign off students for 141 self-examining stage checks the same way as any Part 61 practical, so, therefore, I alway counted 141 tests as part of my pass/fail ratio (yep, a few of the little darlings FAILED :( ).

You really need to record your recommendations accurately per the regulation. Not only is it the correct thing to do but, otherwise, FSDO is likely to give you a very hard time if you try to renew based on activity. Take it from someone who knows. I kept scrupulous records of my recommendations in the back of my logbook, per regulations. I renewed twice with one FSDO and was treated courteously and professionally. I went to another FSDO in a different region but where my school was located. That FSDO gave me a VERY hard time and even threatened to 609 me, which was completely out of line. I was told later by a good friend who is an ASI that I should not have been treated that way.

One way to maintain records would be to ask your school records person for the copy of the 8710 you sign for your student (or make the copy yourself). But you really do need to follow the FAR to the letter.

Latest resources

Back