Going through security with metal plate in my leg

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetSpeed219

Does anyone have experience with going through security with a metal plate inside them? I just had surgery and now have a metal plate and 6 screws and will set the detector off going through. Is this going to be a huge hassle? What should I expect? My doctor didn't really have a concrete answer.

I have a 1 inch X 7 inch titanium plate along my left radius with 7 screws holding it in place. It does not set off the metal detector...

Which begs the question...if I had a 1 inch by 7 inch titanium knife, would it set off the metal detector?

You're good man. I have a plate and 9 screws in my leg and I never set it off. If they do extra screening and wand you down it'll set that one off, but just show them the scar. They see that all the time.

Also you can get this card from your Dr. that says you have medical metal in you, if you want to be that thorough.

flew with a captain with 1/2 a left leg. (no ********************...1/2 a left leg) the dude is a stud...smartest guy in the world...became an FFDO so he didn't have to deal with the bull******************** anymore...

Brilliant!!!!

Hmmm,

Plate in pelvis with eight screws. Four screws in each knee. Rod in left femur with four screws. No problem unless they wand me.

Motocross sure is fun but it hurts when you when fall off.

Metal Plate and 8 screws in right ankle. Had it for a year now and never set off any bells/whistles.

What the heck guys?!!! Were you all riding on the same motorcycle?:nuts:
Anyway, I see "cyborgs" as I call it, go through all the time and its simply a matter of telling them and you get wanded, that's all I have seen happen. A note from a doctor can help too, but it shouldn't be too big a deal.

Latest resources

Back