• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Going South!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
newmei - lol. I need to take another reading comprehension class. All this time I was thinking that the orginal poster specified a Cessna *206*, not a 208! BIG difference! That changes a lot. Exactly how did he get insurance at 350TT? Wow.

I can't even get the local flight school to rent me a '94 Mooney unless I have at least 1000TT. Heh!

avbug,

That was when I was an exchange officer with a middle eastern country that uses Soviet equipment. They had mostly old A models and a few Hind-D's. At the time, it was supposed to be the best gunship in the world, but only because it can bring a Sh*t Load of ordinance to the battle. Avionics and power-train leave a lot to be desired. Compressor stalls are a daily event.

Turbo S7 has the right idea about the flight planning.

I'd also try to get your friend to contact an experienced SA pilot for an in-depth briefing. He won't be in Kansas anymore on this flight.

I'll ask this question, too. How DOES one get insurance on a 208 with 350TT???

Maybe a call to Mission Aviation Fellowship would be a good idea. They have old pilots who have been there, done that.

I spent five years zipping around Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Panama and a few others. A Cessna 206 is worth even more than a 208 to the FARC, ELN, or the run of the mill drug trafficker. Cheaper and easier to hide, and maintain. I would avoid Colombia and her borders COMPLETELY right now. Most of the country is on a war footing.

If you follow the Brazilian route recommended above, you won't have to deal with the Andes and the weather until further south instead of the whole way. I wouldn't EVER leave a 206 at any airport without security on it either.

Get to know how to do an international flight plan. You won't get out of any airports down there without one. Small out of the way airports will require the native tongue, despite the ICAO standard english. Be ready to pay some unreasonable fees.

I would save the time and money and fly first class on one of the airlines. ;)

Thanks you all for your reply's.
I'll print them and and show them to my friend.
In awser to some of your questions:
1. Yes, he is instrument rated.
2. The insurance co. told him to bring some one with him, I guess a lookout of somekind.
3. I have no clue what his motivation is to do this,but not my problem.
Thanks again and you guy's fly safe!

Yeah I was last year. What project or projects were you on? You might have flown with my since i see you have 340 time

Next time you see Jeremy, call him Lt Dan

just another opinion

A great deal of my flight time (limited as that is) is flying in that part of the world. It is possible to make the trip safely, but, BUT (big but), it is more likely that it will end in tragedy. This is a part of the world with 6% of the world's avaition and 46% of the world's fatal aviation accidents. I disagree with the poster who said that it is not rocket science. Maybe I am slow and stupid, but as a military aviator flying turbine powered equipment I found myself challenged everytime I went flying. There are many grand adventures to be had in aviation. This one is up there.

The challenges (incomplete list)

High terrrain
Lack of radar coverage
Unreliable Navaids
High terrain
Open Water
Billingual ATC
High terrain
Incomplete radio coverage
Host nation search and rescue
Terrible weather
Improperly Terps'ed charts
- if you don't know what this means you have no bussiness flying down there

Suggestions

Bring someone who knows the area
Bring GPS
Bring someone who speaks Spanish
Bring someone who speaks Portugese
Fly day/VFR into large airports ONLY
Avoid Colombia
Avoid Peru
Avoid the Andes
Avoid the open water

How about doing that Belize trip first? It is a lot shorter, involves fewer countries, avoids high terrain, and will definatly give a feel for some of the challenges flying south can provide. If he can't find a copilot I have some free time (unemployed) and I can help him with the experience and Spanish speaking suggestions ;) - but I would't go with him to South America until we did a "practice run" to Central America and back. In fact, even having "been there and done that" I would want a practice run for my own benefit.

Latest resources

Back