• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JimNtexas

Take a look at this airplane:

http://i.imgur.com/w4IqQQk.jpg

1) Won't that black paint job cook the interior and avionics?

2) Are thrust reversers deploying before the nose gear touches down considered harmful?

Jim, on the G550 when the mains touch I crack the reverses and fly the nose down (since it wants to slam) and when it's down I gently deploy reverse. Very rarely have to use brakes in Asia with all the concrete here. Perhaps the Global is the same technique?

Of course, the G550 doesn't have any fancy leading edge device

Last edited:
Take a look at this airplane:

http://i.imgur.com/w4IqQQk.jpg

1) Won't that black paint job cook the interior and avionics?

2) Are thrust reversers deploying before the nose gear touches down considered harmful?

I've flown a Global that was very dark, not black, but very dark. I never noticed any heat issues as the packs work extremely well. It also helps that the plane is hangared mostly everywhere it goes.

In the GV and Globals the TR's are usually deployed before the nose touches down.

Jim, on the G550 when the mains touch I crack the reverses and fly the nose down (since it wants to slam) and when it's down I gently deploy reverse. Very rarely have to use brakes in Asia with all the concrete here. Perhaps the Global is the same technique?

Of course, the G550 doesn't have any fancy leading edge device

The Global doesnt have the same nose slamming characteristics of the GV thankfully. With that said, I'll take landing the GV over the Global any day.

Thanks gentlemen, it never occurred to me that reversers might be used in a subtle way.

I asked about the black paint because when I was in the Air Force they decided to paint the KC-135s black. They had to stop and reverse that program because the black tankers were frying everything in the airplane, including the crews.

If Gulfstream or Bombardier were at all concerned about reverser deployment before nosewheel touchdown, they would have linked them to the nosewheel WOW switches. Unless the crosswinds are excessive or the runway contaminated, I have ALWAYS deployed the reversers well before nosewheel touchdown. Including in the G-II/III whose reversers deployed at different rates due to different hydraulic pressures between the flight and combined hydro systems. It's NEVER been an issue.

As to the paint job, I would be reluctant to paint a jet a dark color. No matter how good the packs are, you are adding some serious heat to the interior of the aircraft when it is sitting on a ramp anywhere but Siberia. That is hard on everything inside from the avionics to the Diet Coke.

^+1. Under Armour's Global in BWI has nearly the same paint. Our's is dark as well and I havent seen any out of the ordinary wear. As for the landing, pulling the reversers without the nosewheel down is a non-issue.

I was told that this particular Global VP-CRC (no G-CEYL) had once an issue opening the main door after an extended stay at a hot place: it had to be cooled with water by the airport fire brigade (somewhere in Morrocco if my memory serves me well).

As for the selection of TRs before nosewheel contact, the GLEX will tend to pitch up is you don't fly the nose down.

just my 2 cents

We can get full reverse on the EMB without the nosegear being on the ground. Nobody really does so, but it is no problem. They changed the logic to allow this as originally it didn't. Takes a hefty pull to settle it gently like other planes mentioned above.

Latest resources

Back