Girlfriend? WOFT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tcoll777

Would it be possible to move off base while attending Army Rotary Flight Training?

I know the first 6 weeks or so is Warrant Officer school, and it is basically "lockdown" just like basic training. However, once flight training starts, would it be possible to move off base to live with a love one (girlfriend/engaged)?

tcoll777,

My info is dated since I went through WOFT training in 68-69. I am sure someone will chime in who has much more recent experience.

However, I will tell you how it used to be. No passes for the first six weeks. Unable to leave post until after that and then only on weekends when you did not have too many demerits. I was married going through and the flight training was setup for five months at Ft. Wolters, TX and then the last four months at Ft. Rucker or Ft. Stewart. Obviously now everything is done at Ft. Rucker.

I was able to live off post, as a married type, once I arrived at Ft. Rucker. I expect things have loosened up considerably and I hope so...just not the disciplines in their flight training.

Congrats on going! It is well worth it from my perspective. Wouldn't have been where I am today if not for that training.

BTW there are a number of us old Army pilots out here in key flying positions, not only on the commercial side but in a number of Fortune 100 on down flight departments.

Good luck!

Once you finish the 6 weeks of WOC school you can live wherever you choose. If able, start looking for a place prior to finishing school, since all the other flight school guys will be looking for places also. Good luck.

on post

I have heard of couples spending time together during the six weeks on post at the on-base temporary lodging, transient housing. You get time off on Sunday afternoon later in the courses if you are getting your stuff together. Time to get your counters reset.

There is a decent apartment complex behind the McDonalds in Daleville (Woodcreek Apartments I think), centrally located between Lowe and Cairns Airfields. This would allow you to go home after PT and during lunch or during long breaks. Minutes from the classroom bulidings at Rucker. Lot of people live in Enterprise at Beacon Ridge Apartments, a relatively new complex. Nice, but Enterprise is a good 20 minutes from Rucker, so you really can't head home for lunch or anything like that. Skip Dothan, 30 to 40 minutes away makes 0500 show times at the flightline a real burden.

Just putting it on top one last time... Anybody else??????????

btw

Thanks to all that have responded!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back