• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting Kids Interested in Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Better to get you kid addicted to crack cocaine than introduce them to the world of aviation; crack is cheaper and an easier habit to kick.

Hoover Great idea! Let us cut down the numbers. The only pilots that can go into airline business are sons born to Navy pilots on active duty. That would sure cut down the numbers. Those guys would be scarce and be able to demand tremendous salaries. I am all for that, but if we make it only graduates of ERAU, then I do not think it is a good idea.

I agee with the peanut gallery on this one. The last thing this country needs is more pilots -- I wouldn't encourage any child (much less my own) to get into this field. Their toys will consist of stehescopes, microscopes and law journals (boy they're going to be fun!)

I had an awesome cubicle job

Before flying I was an aerospace engineer. I worked for Boeing Space Systems planning orbital transfers for communication satellites and performing many other types of analysis. Probably as fun and interesting a desk job anyone could have. Flying is so much better and fun and rewarding and exciting. I am so glad I made my move. I think about it every time I step in the cockpit. This profession is full of spoil brats that don't know what they have and have never really worked a day in their lives. If it is so bad, get out of flying and let your child follow his dream.

Last edited:
The program is not to encourage kids to be pilots. The program is to help kids see that it takes education, motivation, and dedication to do whatever they want to in life. The program is also designed to use flying to teach science and math. It's an awesome program and the kids absolutely love it.

Swerpipe said:
Before flying I was an aerospace engineer. I worked for Boeing Space Systems planning orbital transfers for communication satellites and performing many other types of analysis. Probably as fun and interesting a desk job anyone could have. Flying is so much better and fun and rewarding and exciting. I am so glad I made my move. I think about it every time I step in the cockpit. This profession is full of spoil brats that don't know what they have and have never really worked a day in their lives. If it is so bad, get out of flying and let your child follow his dream.

I find the grass is always green argument somewhat amusing. Pilots shouldn't complain because they have it so good and according to you "Flying is so much better and fun and rewarding and exciting." Golly Gee, you fly the 737; I bet you make a decent wage with good days off and it doesn't sound like you'd mine if the pay was less and the work rules were less because of all that excitement. With a large supply of pilots and growing, you wouldn't mine if the market forces down wages and work rules because it's "so rewarding". How would $25 less an hour and 2 days less a month off fly work with you? Rewarding and exciting, huh? I've known fliers who went on another career path after airlining, and seem quite happy. Some of us just want to spread the realities of the industry to reduce supply, in effect helping the work rules and pay we have left while still enjoying some moments of the job. Don't worry though, while still enjoy the flying, I'm always planning for back up options as those current 5th graders apply at Mesa 10 years from now to fly the 787 for $77 an hour and 9 days off a month because someone told them way back when that flying is the greatest job ever with no real negatives (exaggeration, unless the 3 ghosts of Christmas never visit Mesa CEO Ornstein. Wait he's Jewish, s**t). How do like them apples?

Bam

Makes
Every
Situation
Aweful

Last edited:
YellowLab said:
The program is not to encourage kids to be pilots. The program is to help kids see that it takes education, motivation, and dedication to do whatever they want to in life. The program is also designed to use flying to teach science and math. It's an awesome program and the kids absolutely love it.

That sounds better than the way it first sounded. However, education should reflect realities of society. Kids should be taught the positives and negatives of various careers and industries with the lesson that most any profession is better and lucrative in life than any GED required jobs. Also kids need to be taught far more on personal finance and personal health management. They'd be less inclined to take out that $100000 loan while eating junk, taxing the health care system.

Fly2Scuba,

1. If you hate it that much...quit. It will help the supply side out like you mentioned. I flew freight, commuters, was furloughed and I never remember having as bad as attitude. It's fine if you hate your job but don't put down other people because they like theirs. I'm not trying to flame you but to give you some perspective.

2. The adopt a pilot program is strait forward and honest. The first day is a Q and A where kids can ask the pilot anything. Also the pilot is supposed to tell the students how he got to where he is today and what where the challenges and pitfalls. It's a great program that is honest and sincere. No rose colored glasses put on these kids. We can't fix society but if we effect one kids life then it's worth every minute of my time. If you want to help go volunteer somewhere.

3. Good luck Swerpipe! Your attitude will fit in nicely at SWA.

Last edited:
Great 737 job?... I'm dreaming

Fly2Scuba said:
I bet you make a decent wage with good days off and it doesn't sound like you'd mine if the pay was less and the work rules were less because of all that excitement.

Hardly, I fly a Metro and Hawker 600. While I can not complain about pay, I live on my cell phone. Having a day off is a real project. The 737 type was to apply for SWA. I'll tell you how the interview went in a few weeks. I really went out of my way to get to my dream and may be that is why I enjoy it so much. If you don't share the sentiment, I'm sorry. The facts about the industry are the facts. I followed my dream and it has paid off in personal rewards.

P.S. BTW the adopt a pilot program is a wonderful program. I wish it was around when I was growing up. I participated on the program at a school in Compton, CA. The kids at that age are way too positive and innocent to follow the naysayers of this board.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back