• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting Fired from AirTran and Have a question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anyone know if you collect unemployment in your resident state, airline based state or airline headquarters state?

You can file a claim in the state where you live and any state where you were based. Go to your local office and ask questions.

You need to see which state's system AirTran paid into for you. HR should be able to tell you. Sometimes it's the home state, sometimes it's the base state. You'll probably have to make a few, or more, phone calls to get it all sorted out.

The same goes for the type rating. Several pilots have had type ratings paid for either fully or partially as part of a UEI benefit. Typically it takes a lot of phone calls to make it happen, but it's well worth the effort. If it's a 737 type you're looking for, the very helpful folks at one of the leading 737 type training centers (HP) might be able to help you find the appropriate contacts for your situation.

It typically goes easier once you get the right person on the phone, and that person is usually NOT the person at the state's UEI toll free number.

My advice, (if it works) get a type that will get you a job, Hawker 800, Citation X, A319/320. Don't go for the kick ass type, (G-550, Global Express, etc). Very hard to get those jobs, they usually want lots of int'l experience, and a min of 300 hrs in type. My advice, be conservative and responsible, keep it simple.

My advice, (if it works) get a type that will get you a job, Hawker 800, Citation X, A319/320. Don't go for the kick ass type, (G-550, Global Express, etc). Very hard to get those jobs, they usually want lots of int'l experience, and a min of 300 hrs in type. My advice, be conservative and responsible, keep it simple.

Very good advice. My buddy got a Global type and hasn't flown an hr in type in over a year. Others I know picked up a Citation and all have jobs flying that type. Also, with so many of these smaller planes out there your chances of finding a job increase.

Be sure to check out Higher Power in Dallas. They have a 737 type course and on Saturdays the People Dept people from SWA come over and have ice cream with all the HP students. Higher Power's rate of students getting interviews at SWA is, well, Higher! ;-)

Thanks Guys again all great info. BTW it is Nuts!!

I have quite a few corp jet types but was actaully considering trying for SWA as they are hiring 500 plus this year! I know it is a long shot but a last ditch effort to stay in the airlines. On that note, do you guys have any recs on the 737 type guys? Any suggestions?

Be sure to check out Higher Power in Dallas. They have a 737 type course and on Saturdays the People Dept people from SWA come over and have ice cream with all the HP students. Higher Power's rate of students getting interviews at SWA is, well, Higher! ;-)

Thanks! We must have been typing at the same time, I will check them out.

ok, from another TN guy who's been through this before...

AirTran pays into the GA unemployment pool. You will have to file with the State of TN, but they will transfer your claim to the state of GA, who will then have you file weekly for your unemployment, you will be paid every 2 weeks, it's around $300 bucks or so per week.

For WIA, you'll have to go through TN as well, but they handle it in-house. The last time I received money from the system was early 2002, so it likely has changed somewhat, however...

The advice you received earlier to talk directly to the type rating companies is the most accurate. They WILL know how the process works CURRENTLY, how to work it best for you, and how to work it the most quickly. It's in their best interest to help you with this, so they should be your first point of contact.

Lastly, the most TN would do was $3,750, but that was several years ago. It likely has gone up but I sincerely doubt it's over $6,000. Unless some program like the ATA guys have crops up, you're kind of stuck with limited funds...

Best of luck,,, to everyone.

Use the money for a personal trainer... get in shape and a job with the The Thunder Down Under!

That's what Lear 70 did!! :eek:

Latest resources

Back