Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gary Kelly announces the next SWA city is...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is no new terminal near the new runway. After Delta went bankrupt the city said no. There is an expansion of the international terminal but I don't when that will be finished. Only suppose add a few gates I think 8. The new terminal at the earliest would be built decade from now. But there is no reason why SWA can't build the terminal themselves and fly out of ATL. I can guarantee you the city would LUV them in ATL.

The hole in the SWA system in the ATL area is a glaring weakness but iit is fixable, but some questions need to be answered. I spoke to a former pilot who flew out of ATL routinely and filled me in on some observations that makes sense, please comment with what you know.

1. The new runway is completed in ATL, the new terminal that would feed that runway is nearing completion. Originally it was designed for the RJs; now the majors want to keep the RJs closer because they feed so many paxs to the mainline.

Question: Can anyone confirm that observation and has any airlne been promised the new facility there adjacent to the new runway?

2. If the above answer is "no one has spoken for it", the answer would pretty much open up the opportunity for SWA to operate independent and autonomously out of a new facility and off a runway they could use nearly exclusively....a large leap of faith I know so please spell out the error of my logic.

If the above does occur then SWA could find itself in ATL in the near future. Airports worthy of our entry are still out there but nothing would be as enticing as to fill our current hole in our map as it would be to go into ATL with that type of insulation against the other delays at other terminals and runways. Would DAL allow that to happen without a major fight? Absolutly not....certainly the Hartsfield folks will listen very closely to the complaints of favoritism toward SWA (not really but I'm sure DaL would raise the flag regardless).

Don't know about landing fees or costs there but I would think there would be some nice incentives that both sides might like to see in order to both get something they'd like; SWA into a ATL and Hartsfield to get the largest lowcost leader in the country flying from its airfield. The growth potential would be huge....not sure what fares have been doing in ATL in the last year but Chicago latest results show that even large airports can have declines in fares to major points if they open their doors widely to SWA...the last numbers show this has happened in MDW but not in any other markets closes to that size.....Hartsfield would luv to have the same thing said of them in 18 months if SWA was to go in there, albiet under the conditions of operating from a separate terminal (new) and a runway that would be dedicated to their operations.
We'll see what happens, it will be interesting.

Chase,

As the above stated, no new terminal at ATL. SWA will have a very hard time finding any new gates at Hartsfield, period. Try Macon.

I agree with the no new gates at ATL anytime soon. I think the same could be said for CLT as well. SWA would like to fly to both of those cities, but is unable to find any suitable gate space. There are available gates to be had at both BOS and MIA if I'm not mistaken. I'm not saying that we will fly to these cities in the near future, but you do have to go where you can get available gates. These 2 large cities fit the bill in that regard. Time will tell I guess.

Latest resources

Back