• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

G4 crash at BED

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Light fuel load for a short flight. Couldn't a G-IV take off with no flaps on a 7,000 foot runway provided that the PIC didn't rotate before flying speed, entering a stall?

7,000ft is plenty for a lightweight or heavy takeoff. I just looked at the airport diagram, it would be hard to not be obvious making an intersection takeoff. Sad situation.

Stick Pusher valve stuck open? Its happened before?.

Possible, but would have had to of failed right at v1 or shortly afterwards, otherwise the abort would have been a normal abort. Last report I saw was an official said that the flap handle was set to 10 degrees. The picture shows both TRs closed. If they were trying to stop, why are they not deployed? If both engines took birds and shutdown, they wouldn't be able to deploy.

At a light to moderate weight, a GIV will takeoff from an airport like BED with flaps 0 without any problem. Except for the THREE CHIMES blaring away and the red CONFIG WARNING CAS message on the display unit. There is actually a ferry permit procedure available to move the airplane with flaps 0.

Although I am loathe to second guess a crew or speculate on a cause, the only things I can think of given the circumstances are a control lock not fully disengaged, a jammed elevator, or runaway full nose down trim combined with a CG near the forward limit. Gulfstreams can be nose-heavy, especially if equipped with a forward galley.

Last edited:
At a light to moderate weight, a GIV will takeoff from an airport like BED with flaps 0 without any problem. Except for the THREE CHIMES blaring away and the red CONFIG WARNING CAS message on the display unit. There is actually a ferry permit procedure available to move the airplane with flaps 0.

Although I am loathe to second guess a crew or speculate on a cause, the only things I can think of given the circumstances are a control lock not fully disengaged, a jammed elevator, or runaway full nose down trim combined with a CG near the forward limit. Gulfstreams can be nose-heavy, especially if equipped with a forward galley.

Doesn't the gust lock also lock the power levers on a G? I thought it did, but could be mistaken.

T-Bone: Yes, and yes.

Someguy: Great question and my feeble memory fails me at the moment. I THINK so but I've never pushed up the throttles with the gust lock engaged.

The entire incident is very sad and very puzzling.

The gust lock limits throttle movement to 6 degrees. So, yes, they are locked out. Same system on all the Gulfstreams.

Latest resources

Back