Future of the P-3 and EP-3???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Patmack18 said:
I seem to remember reading in Aviation Week that Boeing had come up with a 737 varient it was pitching at the Navy to take over the roll for the P-3 as far as the USW mission. Anyone else head of this?

That took place before I took mil leave from flight test. The company did a 2 week demonstration tour for the Navy with a
-700 variant (might have even been a BBJ1). The test pilots doing the demo had Navy backgrounds. Naval aviators at several locations got the opportunity to fly the airplane on simulated maritime missions. According to our pilots, the Navy evaluators who initially scoffed at the idea of an "airliner" perorming the mission were pleasantly surprised and impressed by the airplane's agility and low speed handling.

alittle off the subject but...

" If we went right to the hard deck, screwed up the fighter's first pass and denied the fighters the vertical, we could out corner them and beat them consistenetly. After the first few flights, we got really good and achieved a 95% survival rate."

The C-130 community has similar results with there program. I believe its out in NM or AZ.

Patmack18 said:
The main reason that I remember that article is because the author said something about it being a 737 varient with a 757 wing, and 757 engines. Read = seriously over powered (if there is such a thing) 737. Sonic can you verify any of that?
Pat

I've heard that rumor before about a more laminar flow wing being put on the '37 line to eek out some more speed (the rumor I heard was for the 737-900X). As far as I know it's only a rumor and not fact.

Here are a few links on the Boeing MMA:

http://www.boeing.com/ids/allsystemsgo/issues/vol1/num3/story09.html (see right side bar)

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2003/q1/nr_030212m.htm (official news release that the above story was based on)

Nice pic of Boeing MMA here

The C-130 was the big stink as an easy replacement in 97-98. They touted a strategic "pack" that could easily be loaded on/off for different missions....lost in the end, thank goodness. Not the best airframe for yanking 60 degrees at 200' over the water...

That's my concern for the 737 idea. 200' AGL marking on top buoys?

Whatever works....

OK, I'll hop in and defend the Mighty Herc. While I have no idea if it would be a suitable replacement for the P-3's mission, I can tell you that yankin' the C-130 around is something that happens every day during airdrop training. Close to a third of my total time has probably been spent flying at 300'A modified countour (meaning ridge line crossing can be lower) at 210-250 KIAS. Pulling a couple G's at 60 degrees of bank is pretty standard in the low level environment. The airframe is very capable and can withstand aggressive manuevering.
LearLove was referring to AATTC (Advanced Airlift Tactical Traning Center) at St. Joe, MO. Most training is done at Ft. Huahchuca, AZ. The most outstanding training I have ever done. Bascially, you max perform the Herc, ridge line crossings, flying through Gunsight Pass (a very narrow pass that winds back and forth, belly up to the far slope as you pull towards the near one, making the loadmaster nervous as he sees scrub brush up close out the window), and flying against F-16s. What previous posters said is correct, it is possible to survive a couple of gun passes from a bad guy, but not a whole lot you can do against missiles.
Alright, I will now excuse myself from this upside-down-engine-flying squid thread.;) .
Fly safe!

Latest resources

Back