future of aviation??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

boulder19

I was watching a show about corporate jets on the History channel today. It was saying that by 2004 a plethera of small jets will start showing up, 4-6 seaters. One prototype I think called "Maverick" is going under tests now. People will be able to travel from smaller airports and go across the country without dealing with major airports or airlines. Then eventually more and more airports will grow from this and most all of travelling will be done from these small corporate jets out of small airports. It seems that there will be so many jets it would be like catching a cab.
With United declaring bankruptcy and another post mentioned shoulder launched missiles targeted at big jets, this seems plausible.
Does this look like the future of aviation?
Will this open the floodgates for aviation jobs, or would it be more that current airline and commuter pilots would get all the jobs and leave CFI's to CFI'ing until they earn enough hours?
Sorry I don't have any more detail about this I just caught the end of the show.
Happy flying!!

It also mentioned that jets will be so vast that training will take place in jets not single piston engines anymore.
Some computer stuff was mentioned like animated skyways diverting you from weather and traffic. Anybody have insight to this?

SATS

I believe its called SATS, Small Aircraft Transportation System.

supsup

To me it seems very probable that if a few companies can pump out 6 place personal jets for less than $1 million apiece, they'll be pretty abundant in no time. Especially if they can pick you and a couple of friends and your bags up at the local FBO and speed you to your favorite backwoods destination direct for the price of a business-class upgrade fare.

How much would a sky-taxi driver make? I imagine very many newer pilots would see this as a way to build hours, go get typed, and do it for slave wages. VERY BAD!

I also imagine that since wages wouldn't be very competitive, the more experienced pilots would try to avoid taking sky-taxi jobs. This makes me wonder about the overall safety record these ultra-high-performance jets will have early on. You'll still get people to fly around in them (people still let NYC's crazy taxi drivers hold their lives in their hands), but the general opinion would be a negative one. VERY BAD!

My best guess is that the face of air travel will change over the next 10 years with these small jets hittiing the market. I only hope that those of us willing to do this work will approach it with the highest level of intelligence and professionalism.

We should begin to educate our students and any other new pilots to the profession that the overall direction of the industry is for increased training costs and slower payback periods. WE DO THIS TO OURSELVES due to the enthusiasm to gain flight time, thinking it all pays off one day. But with these new jets will come a new permanence - just like with the regionals. Most went to the regionals believing they'd move on one day. most will probably retire there now.

I just hope we can get pilots to understand that it will not be okay to fly sky-taxis around for less than the average limo driver makes in a major city. A position like this will probably require more sacrifice than you average captians position at a regional. You will risk your life and your ratings every day. You will likely spend many nights in remote places waiting on your airplane to get fixed, etc.

These jobs SHOULD pay well. But I've seen the way we (pilots) think and behave to get flight time, and I believe many wil bend over and request the sandpaper condom just to be the first on our block to get some small jet time.

Small air taxis

The concept is intriguing and interesting. However, don't forget that they said right after World War II that helicopters would become so commonplace that Joe Sixpack would commute to work via his own helo.

I'm cynical about it. Someone has watched "The Jetsons" too many times. I like the "sandpaper condom" comment. :D

There are more than a couple of articles about it:
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviation/article/0,12543,352523-5,00.html
http://www.avionnewspaper.com/full_story.php?id=404

Personally I think it will be cool not having to deal with the security and traveling directly to where ever one wants to go, though, I would rather be up front.

I've flown the simulator at Sun n Fun and its pretty good IMO, this type of instrumentation will really improve SA. Also ERAU and NASA have a C310 that they have installed the current prototype imstrumentation on.

Latest resources

Back