Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Things you future airline pilots should learn

1. Never pass up a class date. (Senority is everything) *

2. If you want to move on, never pass up the chance to upgrade.

3. Get the aircraft on the property first, then worry about getting the pay rates.

4. Forget about making your regional a "career airline". It is not gonna happen.
(This has been true for many many years)
This is the epitome of the myopia that kills this industry. Whore yourself out now, and there will not be any good jobs later........

We should all believe that faith, hard work, and happiness will bring the best for all of us.

PB
When you hit age 60 at American Eagle, we'll leave a light on for ya down at 135 land.

Wow this is a new low. this is the worst $h!t I've ever read. BOO
It's not your fault when you learned to read.

Nothing has changed since bi-planes, contact flying and the original mail contracts that started most airlines.

This is the epitome of the myopia that kills this industry. Whore yourself out now, and there will not be any good jobs later........

Not passing up an initial class or initial upgrade is not whoring. Neither is securing airplanes for you to fly. Regional airlines are not going to give you a "career contract" either because they don't want you for a career. You are more of a contractor in their eyes than an employee.They are not going to encourage a 10 year captain to stay with retirement, benefits, a good pay rate and QOL when they can get a 4 year captain to produce the exact same revenue for less money. The sooner you understand that, the better. I bet you can guess how they try to get that 6-10 year guy to leave. Thats right, taking 4 or 5 years to get a new contract when the amendable date passes and then making it a crap contract. When I was at ASA, we waited years for a contract. That was in 2004. Guess what? They still don't have one. Not even close. Those poor guys are flying in 2006 at 1998 + DOS payrates. It is not just to save the airline money now, it is to make upper F.O's and middle Captains quit. In fact, ASA is displacing guys out of the left seat back to the right. By the time they do get a contract, it will be outdated, no real backpay and Bush is not gonna let them strike. It is airline economics 101. Keep as many pilots away from the top end of the payscale as possible by making it as difficult to work there as possible. The best part is, they know they have you, because of the double edge sword called senority. What are gonna do, quit and start over at the bottom somewhere else? That is exactly what your old company and your new company want. You have just lowered the cost structure at both places. So you better take a class date and upgrade ASAP. Fly 1000 hours a year then get on with a big boy. That is the playbook I was taught, and it worked for me. Thems the basic rules, now if you want to play, you better know em and use them to your career advantage.

Last edited:
My regional sucks less than your regional!!! NYAAAAHHH!!!

Latest resources

Back