FTI for 737 type: Denver or Las Vegas?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

califlyer

Interviewed at SWA 5/15, have had references called. If I get the offer, I will probably use FTI to get the type. For those that have used FTI, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each location: Location, proximity to restaurants, hotel costs, need a rental car, etc.? Anything else I should consider?

Interviewed at SWA 5/15, have had references called. If I get the offer, I will probably use FTI to get the type. For those that have used FTI, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each location: Location, proximity to restaurants, hotel costs, need a rental car, etc.? Anything else I should consider?

Did DFW w/ FTI...More convient for me, Was also told rumor that FTI would be going to do ATL but call and Ask. Plus with DFW, everyone I talked to that went to DFW got the better sim periods, seems like the HP guys got the early & late ones for some reason. They use the Alteon (Boeing) sims at DFW, For location, Alteon has a website!

Good Luck,
KBB

First of all, I highly recommend FTI for the best 737 type training at the lowest price, so I think you are making the right choice there (no I do not work for FTI!). I am sure other places do a fantastic job, but for the money, you can't beat FTI.

Anyhow, I went to the DEN location, and it was a very good experience. The sims are UAL sims, in their training facility. You get "gentleman's hours" since no one besides FTI uses the -200 sim. The instructors are all UAL pilots/instructors, and very good dudes. Their offices have a cardboard mockup you can use at any time. The offices/classroom are not fancy, but utilitarian and get the job done. They will prepare you for what you need to know. It was a very low-stress training environment, and I really appreciated that.

Across the street from the UAL training center are the Radisson and Doubletree Hotels. I stayed in both and although it is a few extra bucks a night, I HIGHLY advise you to stay in the Doubletree. Both are crew hotels, but the DT is where SWA stays, is much nicer, and the staff there are wonderful compared to the RAD. Both properties are an easy walk across the street to several restuarants and the training center, so a car is not needed. You can probably Google "Stapleton Area", and see what all is around there. If you have any specific question, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Best of luck,
CB

First of all, I highly recommend FTI for the best 737 type training at the lowest price, so I think you are making the right choice there (no I do not work for FTI!). I am sure other places do a fantastic job, but for the money, you can't beat FTI.

Anyhow, I went to the DEN location, and it was a very good experience. The sims are UAL sims, in their training facility. You get "gentleman's hours" since no one besides FTI uses the -200 sim. The instructors are all UAL pilots/instructors, and very good dudes. Their offices have a cardboard mockup you can use at any time. The offices/classroom are not fancy, but utilitarian and get the job done. They will prepare you for what you need to know. It was a very low-stress training environment, and I really appreciated that.

Across the street from the UAL training center are the Radisson and Doubletree Hotels. I stayed in both and although it is a few extra bucks a night, I HIGHLY advise you to stay in the Doubletree. Both are crew hotels, but the DT is where SWA stays, is much nicer, and the staff there are wonderful compared to the RAD. Both properties are an easy walk across the street to several restuarants and the training center, so a car is not needed. You can probably Google "Stapleton Area", and see what all is around there. If you have any specific question, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Best of luck,
CB

I second what CB said. I did my type back in 2002 with FTI. They only had DEN at the time, but it was one of the most pleasant experiences that I've had when it comes to training. I stayed at the Radisson, but that is no big deal. Whoever gives you the best price is the way to go. I highly recommend FTI.

We recently sold our -200 sim to some outfit in LAS according to one of our sim instructors. I honestly don't know if it is FTI or not. However if it is,I recommend steering clear of LAS. When we had that sim at AWA,it was broken quite a bit.

PHXFLYR

I was typed out in LAS back in MAR. The sim out there is indeed an old AWA sim...you can still see the logo inside. Unfortunately it is a POS that has a bad habit of breaking down several times. We had a guy that didnt get all the sim time he payed for...but the idea is to get the type and that he did. Our sim times were also crummy...not sure if we were the exception or the rule but it wasnt alot of fun not getting out of the sim till 4 or 5am on some nights. Bottom line is i got the type at a reasonable price...I wouldnt say the training is exceptional or anything like that nor was i expecting it to be. Day one is a review of systems and all other days are spent in the sim. Study for the oral on your time...dont stress about it. As far as things to do...well...its Vegas, you'll figure it out. For a quick type at the cheapest price i would recomend them. Good Luck

Latest resources

Back