Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wmuflyguy

flunky
Has anybody recently gone on their CFI ride with the FSDO. If so, can you give me any insight into how long it was and what they focused on in the oral. Jsut called for my Checkride and didn't get DE'd like a few of my friends did a couple weeks ago. Just wondering if there are any areas other than the FOI and part 61 they will hammer me on. My friend who passed with the DE last week and keeps giving me crap on how horrible it is goin to be. I'm pretty nervous already and it isn't for 2 more weeks away. thanks ahead of time for any responses.

Good luck with that....I took mine with the DAL FSDO and it wasn't that bad. It really just depends on the inspector you get assigned, some are cool and some are total pricks. Just make sure the airplane you bring is in excellent condition because they will ramp check it. Have it washed before you bring it to the checkride and make sure there are absolutely no mechanical or structrual blemishes on it. For instance, I nearly got violated for having one rivet missing out of the side of the fuselage on the plane I brought.

Name the FSDO and you'll get a good amount of info I bet.

I took my initial CFI with the GRR FSDO and it wasn't bad at all. I only did the oral with them due to bad weather. The oral was near 5 hours long (we started at 7am) but it was just a little of everything. Heck, he only asked me a few questions on the FOI. It was Vito Carello that I went with (imagine hearing that a guy with a name like that is going to do your CFI ride...yikes). He was disappointed because I didn't know the exact wingspan and height of the tail of the Mooney. Anyway, good luck

FSDO CFI Ride v. DE CFI Ride

wmuflyguy said:
Has anybody recently gone on their CFI ride with the FSDO. If so, can you give me any insight into how long it was and what they focused on in the oral. Jsut called for my Checkride and didn't get DE'd like a few of my friends did a couple weeks ago. Just wondering if there are any areas other than the FOI and part 61 they will hammer me on. My friend who passed with the DE last week and keeps giving me crap on how horrible it is goin to be. I'm pretty nervous already and it isn't for 2 more weeks away. thanks ahead of time for any responses.
Theoretically, all examiners, ASIs and DEs alike, are supposed to give the same examination. In the real world, it doesn't happen that way.

It seems to run the gamut, as it does if you take your practical with a DE. Some are great people and are completely fair and professional. Others are real nitpicking, anal SOBs with agendas to promote. Some ASIs can determine if you know your stuff within the first hour and will conclude your oral relatively quickly. On the other hand, there is a CFI DE in SDL who is known to give eight-hour orals. By the end of the day the poor applicant is usually too tired to fly and the flight is put off.

Although it appears not to apply to you, whatever you do, stay away from the MCO FSDO. It may be unfair to classify everyone in that office. Be that as it may, but my $0.02 experience is that FSDO is staffed and run by nazis. Stay away from there!!

Good luck with your practical.

I've been around a few different people who have taken checkrides with different examiners. In keeping with what has already been mentioned, it totally depends on the person. My CFI ride was a breeze. Took less than 6 hours flight and oral combined. However, other people have had just the opposite experience.

bobbysamd said:
Theoretically, all examiners, ASIs and DEs alike, are supposed to give the same examination. In the real world, it doesn't happen that way.
I would qualify this a bit bobbysamd. If by the same you mean that they are required to cover the same material, that is only partially true. The FOI does allow for some flexbility. There are some tasks which are required for each oral/practical, but there are others which are descretionary.

As to the difficulty of the test, that is probably where the "real world" comes into play that you were mentioning. An examiner may say "Explain a stall" which would cover the requirement of that task whereas another may say "Why does an airplane stall." Two similar questions, covering the same point in the PTS, but of differing difficulties.

I did my initial last July at the Rapid City FSDO, we went over shorts and softs, a complex checkout (pvt pilot getting a checkout), FOI, and aerodynamics. That is what I remember anyway. 1.2 of flight and 2 hours of oral. Really an easy ride.

Ankeny, Iowa in 2002.

6 hour oral, 2 hour flight. Passed. He talked mostly, with some direct questions.

Hey guys, Thanks a bunch! I'm goin with the GRR FSDO. I'm not sure what the ladies name is that i'm going with. No one at my school has gone recently it seems with the FSDO and three of my friends had recently got DE'd so it came as a bit of a suprise, but my instructor says i know my stuff, i jsut need to brush up on the PTS i think. Thanks again!

Oh and are they supposed to assign you a teaching task before you go or do they spring it on you when you get there? They didn't assign me one and a few people said they were supposed to at my school. Thanks again

Latest resources

Back