Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gear_guy

Gentlemen-

Anything new at Frontier Airlines? I have completed the online app. and submitted a resume to the Chief Pilot.

Anything else I can do to up my odds?

What does the future look like?

When can we expect the hiring to resume?

Is there currently a pool?

Thanks

gear_guy

No good news from F9. Lost a pile of money last quarter with supposedly the second lowest non-fuel costs in the industry. Last word was no hiring til Dec. but I will be surprised if there is not a furlough. The train is coming but few people see the headlight bearing down on them. I hope I am wrong.

"The train is coming but few people see the headlight bearing down on them. I hope I am wrong."

That's because somebody told them that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Nobody told them to check the source.

Think in terms of the Super Bowl. The Eagles are down by 14 in the 4th. There is no telling what kind of plays you're going to see. If we all knew in advance then the Pats would have a clear advantage.
The last thing you want to do is underestimate a team that made it to the Super Bowl.

yaks said:
No good news from F9. Lost a pile of money last quarter with supposedly the second lowest non-fuel costs in the industry.

OK, I'll bite. How can they have among the lowest costs and still manage to lose a pile of money?

Thanks for the info. It certainly gives me a new perspective. I thought everything was hunky-dory over there.

You want "hunky-dory"? Get your 737 type and get in line for Southwest. They don't get any "hunky- dori-er" than that!!:)

Good luck

PHXFLYR:cool:

taloft said:
OK, I'll bite. How can they have among the lowest costs and still manage to lose a pile of money?

We should have been asking the reverse of this question in the late '90s.

"How can carriers with the highest costs continue to make big money and grow"

Sorry....No answer but saw it as food for thought. BTW, ATA has some of the lowest costs in the industry too. I would say its all about revenue. If you can ensure a steady stream of good revenue the costs only have to be lower than the revenue. When your revenue is under fire (bigger competitors, debt payments, public stops flying, etc) it doesn't matter how low your costs are.

Last edited:
No hiring on the books this year. But the “F” word? C’mon

Our fuel costs have jumped like just about everyone except WN. Our main competitor is operating under bankruptcy protection with their judge more like a bobble head doll then a thinking human being and pricing so far below their costs that their pax should be able to write off their ticket price as a charitable contribution!

There isn’t much we can do about the above problems, but we look to ourselves to find inefficiencies within our operation to correct. We are looking at markets where we can make money. We aren’t wrapped around defending market share at the expense of revenue like some companies I know, and will drop routes that don’t work like a hot rock. The Airbus transition is complete in April with the efficiencies of a single fuel efficient type gained there (with cat III too.)

We took a temporary pay cut after 9/11 to keep furloughs from happening, and I don’t see anything near to as dire a situation as would be needed for furloughs to happen now. We lost 8.6 million (11.1 including special items) with 149 plus million in cash in the bank, and no “bad” debt. Not good, but we aren’t burning the furniture just yet.

This has turned into a true war of attrition, and I think we are positioned to win.

PS – Yaks, You don’t need a train to get to our concourse J

Latest resources

Back