• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frontier JetExpress RFP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
eliminates skywest, but not ASA. That is why ASA just got a LAX base for Delta. Skywest already flies out of there for United.

Someone beat me to it. SKYW can't do the flying but ASA sure can.

Everyone is going to be in on this bid. That is what our companies do. ASA problobly looks real good... MX, rampers, etc... already there in our "family" uniform. I hope we get the bid because it is the only shot we have... Hopefully United can open another 30 or so bases to help us get around SKYW.

Settle down, you're still in the 'spin cycle'. Get your apps updated with F9 and remain seated.

We (pilots) at Horizon are not concerned with the fact that F9 is putting out an RFP because it is such a small niche of our flying. Except for the pilots living in DEN who would have to relocate or commute, but they will still have jobs. We will just put those airplanes back into our native route structure in which we are short on planes anyways. That is why most of us do not want anymore contract flying at Horizon. We want to stay out of this whole mess you guys are warning us about.

PunchTheClown said:
You guys at Horizon. . . hang on for the ride is about to get terrible. Your about to enter the world of hell that the rest of us live in. They talk about the race to the bottom, if your with US Air then your already there. I feel for all of you because you actually work for a decent company and you have a long way to fall. Good luck to you.

I actually think none of us at QX are worried about it. The F9 operation represents a very small percentage of our overall flying, only 9 planes out of the whole fleet. Our mainline fleet has been very strong, and I think most people are of the attitude that we bring those planes back to the west coast and fly them as regular Horizon. Management has already said that if the contract ends, they see more then enough opportunities for them back home. Horizon doesn't have to worry about playing the game as the lowest bidder to win the flying, cause we won't even show up. We are not a provider of lift (exc for the small F9 op) like everyone else; we have our own brand back home that has done well. At this point I believe it's not in Horizon's best interest to even try for the contract, the margins would be so small compared to what we could do on our own. We don't need to compete for these contracts to keep our jobs, that's the nice thing about this company, it's not our only life-line available. The F9 operation began as a way to diversify our income against our 'at-risk' mainline network, but now it looks like the long-term investment return of F9 isn't what it was, or could be in the future.

It is my personal opinion that this may actually be a good thing. AAG has always been conservative with growth. They may see some growth at home, but don't want to put up the capital to fund new aircraft. They may be looking over at Denver as a nice source for those aircraft. The revenues are better at home then would be available flying under a 'lowest-bidder' F9 contract. With our recent agreement to sublease away 16 or so Dash-8s, and the upcoming order of 12 Q400s, the 9 CRJs would probably fit back in well to the Horizon fleet plan. The D8 lease is a recent event that was unexpected, so this may be the answer QX was looking for to fill that hole with aircraft we already have.

It's what QX loves... Growth without actually growing!!!

edit: Sioux115 beat me to the reply, but has the same attitude towards this

Last edited:
Crash Pad said:
Horizon welcome to the race. It starts with this RFP. Next thing you know you might need to take a little pay freeze to "stay competative". Next thing you know the snacks aren't what they used to be. It all ends the same.

Can I put early money on Skywest for the award. I think Mesa pissed frontier off... CHQ is another good choice.

Great Lakes Aviation LTD, is the dark horse. Personally I hope they get it. This industry has forgotten what regional flying is supposed to be. A drunken frat party with a 27 year old senior captain.

Are you insiuating that Great Lakes has the capitol or the capacity to fly RJ's..im not disagreeing with you and I respect the S$$t out of the Lakers...i just thought wed see hell freeze over before we saw an RJ at Great Lakes

dal757 said:
don't count expressjet out of this. I think they might have a good shot at it as well....

Oh count them out. Their costs are HORRIBLE - do you have any idea the ruinous rates Continental is charging them to keep those planes?

I don't know what ExpressJet's plan is - but if it involves trying to pick up additional regional flying it's not going to work - they don't have the cost structure to compete.

Crash Pad said:
Horizon welcome to the race. It starts with this RFP. Next thing you know you might need to take a little pay freeze to "stay competative". Next thing you know the snacks aren't what they used to be. It all ends the same.

Can I put early money on Skywest for the award. I think Mesa pissed frontier off... CHQ is another good choice.

Great Lakes Aviation LTD, is the dark horse. Personally I hope they get it. This industry has forgotten what regional flying is supposed to be. A drunken frat party with a 27 year old senior captain.

Another amen!

Latest resources

Back