• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From Fractional to a Major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly. However, some pilots are much better at converting experience into judgement. Hence the old adage about one hour repeated a thousand times.

You are correct, Judgement is the goal, not experience. If we could inject judgement directly into someone, there would be little need for experience. The problem with the current system is that it NEVER really recognizes judgement. It recognizes hours as a crude measure of judgement. This causes newer pilots to pursue a full logbook, even at the expense of learning something. Anyone who has not seen this hasn't been around GA very much.

A freight operation I was associated with had two bare-mins 135 guys who could out-think and out-fly one of the higher time guys. (I was none of the three in question, BTW).

In other words, it still depends on the individual's character and professionalism. Professionalism cannot be assumed based on experience. Judgement can be inferred somewhat by experience, but it is STILL a blunt instrument.

Pilots of all experience levels have made some very bad judgement calls. Some people use up more of the safety net than others. But unless one day they use it all up and bend something, it is not easy to predict who is riding closer to the edge.

my daddy can beat up your daddy.

Lots of trash talkin' coming from the unemployment lines these days folks!!

Delta, United, NWA.....easy now.....you all get the same amount of Guvment cheese....

does not matter if you flew the "big show" or not!!

Prior to 9/11 NJA's attrition rate was what 25%. 98% of those went to the majors. Now do I think a fractional will better prepare you for a major airline job better then a regional pilot? Who knows. What I do know is that getting a major airline job is like getting struck by lightening. For those of you who don't think it comes down to luck in the end, then I think you should rethink it. Most everyone in the majors that was hired within the last 10 years probably can remember being in an interview class with guys that had more experience, education, and such... and for some reason or another the other guys didn't get the job. I don't think anyone knows, the perfect formula for getting a job in the "Show". When the wheels start turning again, it will be the same thing. Guys will be hired from all over, from the military, regionals, fractionals and what not and to those who get hired, I would remember that there are thousands of other pilots that can do your job, they just didn't have the luck to get it.

--------------------------------------
...getting a major airline job is like getting struck by lightening. For those of you who don't think it comes down to luck in the end, then I think you should rethink it. Most everyone in the majors that was hired within the last 10 years probably can remember being in an interview class with guys that had more experience, education, and such... and for some reason or another the other guys didn't get the job. I don't think anyone knows, the perfect formula for getting a job in the "Show". When the wheels start turning again, it will be the same thing. Guys will be hired from all over, from the military, regionals, fractionals and what not and to those who get hired...
----------------------------------------

Extremely True

I would remember that there are thousands of other pilots that can do your job, they just didn't have the luck to get it.

Bingo! Truer words were never spoken.

Latest resources

Back