Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From Airline to Frax - How's Transition?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

I realize that most of the Frax companies are not hiring much at the moment (besides Citationshares), but I was wondering about the transition made from airline (either regional or major) to the fractional companies. I know a lot of pilots have switched over due to either preference or furlough.... We all know that you take a big economic hit (at least initially) - so let's EXCLUDE pay from this discussion. Some questions for you:

1. How was the transition for you in terms of "type of flying" and schedule? I realize that you don't have a set schedule - how was the adjustment to that for you vs. you knowing your schedule and destinations in advance? Do you like fractional flying better than airline flying?

2. Biggest positive and negative for you related to fractional flying?

3. How did you like the equipment you transitioned to? Were you happy or sad with the change? How does your current equipment compare to what you last flew in the airlines (at either regional or major)?

I am looking into the fractional world myself, and I'd like to know more before they start hiring again (it may be awhile...).

Thanks for your honest opinions!

2 cents

Gun hit on the head...very good post!

my biggest positive is that you get to go all over the USA/Mexico/Canada...you get to see airports that are new to you.....mabye :) but with 12k TT i bet you have seen most of it :)

its a fluid dynamic world to fly in...i bet you will find it fun only draw back for you is you will have to load bags

have fun

PM me if you need any info on FLOPS hiring

Fly safe!

Positives:
-Glad to have a flying job in new equipment in todays world.
-Neat desitinations

Negatives:
-Huge lack of following SOP's(even the ioe instructors are clueless)
-Schedules Suck for family life: 7 days is too much time away from home.
-Pay: way too much responsibility for pay recieved i.e. you do it all!
-on the road schedules: seems i either sit in a hotel for the whole tour(which can get expensive and boring) or you fly your butt off the whole time.
-never know when you are going back out after 10 hours of rest is up.(2 am wake ups for a scramble tothe fbo are no fun)

Just my opinion: A major job is still the best thing going even with todays paycuts and unstability.

I would jump back to the majors in a heartbeat.

From CALEX to Netjets.

At Netjets:
1. See previous posts.
2. For me pay increase.
3. Load bags, serve drinks, and put up at times with arrogant condescending PAX with loads of $$$.
4. No jumpseat, non-rev. or ID 90.
5. Great crewfood.
6. Paid commute on company's time.
7. Much better hotels.
8. I have to pay attention in flight and on the ground too, as this place and work is rapidly changing, often in flight. Some private airports not just w/o approaches, but not on any charts IFR or VFR. Even the controllers never heard of it. -see previous posts.-
9. Good, apparently mature fellow pilots. I did not hear yet from a 22 y/o ERAU graduate "my captain's authority". So often heard at CALEX.
10. Citation Ultra. -simple, easy to fly AC, but I miss the EMB145-
11. Ultra= no APU/PAC -real hot or real cold at times-
12. Teamsters for Union -hmmm?-
13. SOP's are present and enforced just as much as they were at CALEX. -I refrain from criticizing the SOP or the calls. Opinions like as*holes, everybody has one.-

At CALEX
1. Opposite of #'s 2,3,4,5,6,7
2. ALPA protection - with all the bad things, I liked ALPA and the protection it offered against disciplinary actions, FAA actions or loss of medical.-
3. Easy, routine flying, not much involvement in flight planning, dispatch and such.
4. I personally loved the AC (EMB145), with minor exceptions.

This is it, off the top of my head. I am happy here and I am not furloughed from CALEX. Voluntary resignation for Netjets.

Not at NetJets!!!!!!!!!!!

All the frax have SOPs - I think what he meant is that there are a people that don't follow them as they should. You're going to find that everywhere - maybe the majority of the guys he has flown with are they guys that think SOPs are for everybody else.

8. I have to pay attention in flight and on the ground too, as this place and work is rapidly changing, often in flight. Some private airports not just w/o approaches, but not on any charts IFR or VFR. Even the controllers never heard of it. -see previous posts.

So what do you do in this case? I, personally, do not fly into airports that I cannot get reliable data for. If they are not charted, chances are there is not reliable info on the runway length, width, load bearing capacity, and condition. If there are no standard markings on the runway, it can be hard to tell how long it is just by flying over it and eyeballing it. I have only been assigned a trip to such an airport once, and after flying over it I decided that the data obtained from the owner of the airport was incorrect regarding the length(much shorter), and diverted to the alternate 10 miles away.

Frac pilot,

The company policy at NJA doesn't allow us to use uncharted airports, unless they have been reviewed, and flown into by managment. It is the crews responsability to get the info before launch.

Just passing it along.

Has a Captain at NetJets if I fly with soemone that does not follow the SOP or GOM I have a face to face with them in private, like all crewmembers should, to remind them that they are being paid to fly the aircraft by the company rules.. If they have a problem with that I'll be happy to help them find them another job!

There's no room in a professional company or flightdeck for a half-ass laid back approach to company procedures...

NetJets will not tolerate it nor would I!!!!!!!!

Infoman is correct about NJA procedures

The specific runway is in AL, belongs to a plantation. Very nice, about 6000' runway. If you can't eyeball that, there is a problem.
The SOP's at NJA are followed very closely. I only flew with one PIC, who thought he was above all that "crap" "designed for the lowest common denominator". I have encountered a few at my previous job as well and at several majors while jumpseating.

Latest resources

Back