Frigid Temps

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tarp

Well your remedy is to just carry a wallet size collection of your avatars and sticky them to the panel - that'll keep any guy warm - Anna! (And you're going to have to stop posting these delights, my wife wants to know why I'm in such a romantic mood when I get off the web.)

As to the temps, I could've used a couple of Anna's the other day - 9deg F in Maryland and my student didn't have any heat in his plane - the engine was preheated, but he had the heating ducts closed off because his CO monitor had been reading too high. Could have killed him when he tells me this about 800ft agl. I needed heat in the cockpit so he got unusual attitudes and a bunch of instrument failures. One way or another I was going to turn up the heat. ;-)

It was 10 below zero when I got up this morning (Pennsylvania). Yes, that's Farenheit!

And no that wasn't the windchill, it was the temperature...

Last edited:
Ok quit your squaking....

It was -29C when I took off in a Navajo in Barrow this morning, and we are just getting into the cold season. Atleast in the Navajo I had a front heater. In the 207 we always freeze....

All this chat about cold temps and I am thankful…

I recollect the most wretched 6 months of my life I spent in Southern Algeria in the summer. During the day it reaches 125 degs and at night if we were lucky it would bottom out around 85.

During the entire time I was there it never rained, the wind would literally sear your flesh like a grill as the sand carried by the wind ground down your already dehydrated skin.

The heat was so bad that after a few hours you began to suffer the loss of your sense of smell and your eyes would no longer produce tears.

I’ve spent time in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Turkey and more Southeast Asian countries than I care to remember, but the hottest place on earth is a place in Southern Algeria on a plateau at the base of Mt. Tahat called Azaoua.

I’ll take your Chicago winters any day.

Hippie

OtterFO said:

It was -29C when I took off in a Navajo in Barrow this morning, and we are just getting into the cold season. Atleast in the Navajo I had a front heater. In the 207 we always freeze....

-10F = -23C. That's only a 6 deg. difference. This is PA, not Alaska!

OtterFO said:

I never froze in the 207...or course I had to wear bunny boots, 4 layers of clothing, a beaver hat, and get very good at changing radio knobs while wearing mittens.

Hey Y'all watch this...

Try OLF - Wolf Point,MT - in the winter of 96/97.

The Commander was kept outside with engine covers and four small heaters, like the ones desk types keep at their feet, one in each necelle, one on the gyros under the dash, and one on the Jantroll heater so it would fire off the next night.

I de-iced, fueled, and flew by myself starting at 21:00 finishing up at around 03:00 seven nights a week (I got my 24 in Billings from Saturday night to Sunday night.)

It was a bit challenging flying the NDB circle into my home drome looking through a wallnut size hole in the hot plate (I had dual ADF's so it was cool) or flying the ILS to mins in the warmth of Billings without so much as dual glide slopes (or a HSI.)

We had an entire month where the ambient highs didn't get out of the negitive teens! The worst wind chill was -87F! Cows were freezing to death in the fields! No exposed flesh and trying to steer the 680 in LaCross boots.

It was my first 135 job, and I was happy to have it:) I appriciate the Bus like you wouldn't believe!

I feel your pain.

I was at Skytrails in Van Nuys this past weekend. It was 85 at nearby LAX.

Then, the pax calls and wants to go home a day early. We dropped him at YNG last night, and it was cold.

Then we went to ABE and it was COLD. Yikes!! Single digits. Gloves.

I want to go back....

You guys are RIGHT, its freezing down here.

The high in Dallas today is supposed to be in the low 70's.

Latest resources

Back