• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Friday Afternoon Breaking News- Dallas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kittykitty: SWA felt SEATAC was getting expensive so they threatened to move to King Co. Shookem down for some bucks and then stayed. OK, so that alone ain't so bad, but it certainly suggests they could do the same in Dallas. Maybe you aren't paying too close attention, but SWA operates from all manner of secondary airports, and there are few more of those in Dallas. SWA may luv Love, but there is obvious contempt of DFW on the part of SWA and the authors of the agreement wanted to protect themselves. At the same time, Love Field has been a painful enough experience in Dallas, to everyone but SWA, that no one wants to see something similiar in the metroplex.

Flopgut said:
Kittykitty: SWA felt SEATAC was getting expensive so they threatened to move to King Co. Shookem down for some bucks and then stayed. OK, so that alone ain't so bad, but it certainly suggests they could do the same in Dallas. Maybe you aren't paying too close attention, but SWA operates from all manner of secondary airports, and there are few more of those in Dallas. SWA may luv Love, but there exists obvious for contempt of DFW on the part of SWA that the authors of the agreement wanted to protect themselves. At the same time, Love Field has been a painful enough experience in Dallas, to everyone but SWA, that no one wants to see something similiar in the metroplex.

Flopgut,

You just dont get it do you?

SWA flies into DAL because their business model was built on it. If SWA started flying into Alliance only or any other Metroplex airport then their traffic would drop by half. Gauranteed.

People fly on SWA to and from DAL because it is so convenient to Downtown Dallas. Business travelers love it.

I am paying close attention to this. It's really not all that hard to understand.

GuppyWN said:
Flop,

Herb "had Braniff removed" from Love? I don't think so.

Some historian help me out here. Braniff matched us $ for $ on our routes trying to RUN US OUT OF BUSINESS. Our ad campaign was to give the customer a choice of a something I can't remember or of a fifth of booze. The slogan was something like "noboby is going to run us off for a lousy 5 bucks." We still hold the record for liquor sales in the state of Texas for that.

And a little history for you Flopgut. SWA never HAD to sign to move to DFW because when this was going on SWA wasn't even born yet. All CURRENT Love tennants were forced to sign. Shortly thereafter SWA was born. They asked us to go along and Herb didn't think it was a good idea at the time and he doesn't think it's a good idea now.

Just remember.... The deal has to pass congress by years end to be in effect. I'm certain you'll see continued politicing on both sides until it's inked by Washington. There are several states that are in the process of getting their states exempted. I think they should be allowed to continue their petitions.

Gup

I'm familiar with the story. In the end it was not a bottle of hooch, it was a court order that got Braniff out of Love. (I have tried, and will continue to try to get this proof in a form that is well recieved on here) Ask an old Braniff guy, or maybe even email Herb, he seems to be softening up in his latter years.

But why don't we all take a little stock in this deal. We can probably put it to rest. A few posts ago I said it's too bad SWA folks can't do an "endzone dance", actually, I think you can! This ends the WA, we can all get ready for whatever is next, we all have a pretty level playing field. SWA is going to keep doing well, AA gets to breath, now lets start hoping for everyone to do well.

Dangerkitty said:
Flopgut,

You just dont get it do you?

SWA flies into DAL because their business model was built on it. If SWA started flying into Alliance only or any other Metroplex airport then their traffic would drop by half. Gauranteed.

People fly on SWA to and from DAL because it is so convenient to Downtown Dallas. Business travelers love it.

I am paying close attention to this. It's really not all that hard to understand.

The fact that the language is in the proposed agreement is proof enough. Why else is it in there?

Let's be done with this OK? Sorry I mentioned it.

scoreboard said:
Man, the AA guys sure won't like being stapled to the bottom.

Just kidding folks, come on...

There will be some unpleasantries for sure. But, it would be one he!! of an airline! That's the kind of airline Dallas ought to have. SWA employees could teach AA employees the mysteries of being personable (and get em all back to work), AA could teach SWA how to correctly price an airline ticket. If the merged airline could take the SWA fleet and polish out the paint base coat, there is probably some money in it from the community beautification board!

Flopgut said:
There will be some unpleasantries for sure. But, it would be one he!! of an airline! That's the kind of airline Dallas ought to have. SWA employees could teach AA employees the mysteries of being personable (and get em all back to work), AA could teach SWA how to correctly price an airline ticket. If the merged airline could take the SWA fleet and polish out the paint base coat, there is probably some money in it from the community beautification board!

Hey, maybe that's why "Silver One" was created....

All kidding aside, an AA-SWA "merger" woudln't exactly be a merger - it would be a complete acquisition by SWA.

Bring it on, I'll gladly take a staple at SWA. Just don't fence me off any equipment... oh wait, duh.

J3CubCapt said:
Gut, did you even READ my post #109?

Is that the one about your business traveler wife? If so yes.

There is NO WAY business travelers deserve a low fare! Obviously, even though it's expensive she doesn't scrub the trip. It's the cost of doing business. They can just add it to the cost of a computer. Let me ask you this: If she could save grand is the price of a computer going to go down? Is she going to get more in pay and benefits? In both cases no, not really.

Ask her this: In her daily consumer routine, is there any instance, other than airline tickets, where a similiar product is being delivered at price so far below the inflation rate? Scale the economies for cars, houses, energy, education, or health care. About the only thing airline travel is beating is the cost of food! Checked in with the American farmer these days? And BTW, walk through produce section of a Canadian super market and you'll find where North America's premium produce is going. Wal-Mart has pretty much wiped out everybody else, now you can't even get a decent orange.

Does the guy who owns your wife's computer company need to be worth 40 billion, or does he need cheap airfares so he can be worth 40.001 billion?

Just tell me this J3Cub: What has the price of a J3 done in the last 25 years? Compare it to an airline ticket.

Forget about the above post, I don't want to get drawn into too much political stuff, let's stick with money.

The costs of operating the AA "production line" is more than SWA's. Mostly because SWA is simple and AA's is very elaborate. This agreement is great because, while you can beat AA right now, can you beat em in 8 years? Maybe, maybe not. But your going to have to look at your "production line" and make longer term decisions about how much it costs to run it. If I were you I'd start getting my customers used to higher fares.

Flopgut said:
while you can beat AA right now, can you beat em in 8 years? Maybe, maybe not. But your going to have to look at your "production line" and make longer term decisions about how much it costs to run it. If I were you I'd start getting my customers used to higher fares.

It's really not about "beating" anybody. Its all about profits....SWA's profits, specifically. Now if AA, or UAL or even CAL show profits too....then all the better. But my first concern is really SWA's profits.

I believe that fares are going to come down in the DFW area....not up. More competition is good for the consumer....good for SWA"s profits. Where do you get the "higher fares" concept from?

Tejas

Latest resources

Back