Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigD

61.57 says:

(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:

(1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft (other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought --

(i) At least six instrument approaches;

(ii) Holding procedures; and

(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.

So it looks like you can.

So long as the Frasca holds an approval letter (each sim or FTD needs it's own letter; the blanket approval for the type is not enough), and an instructor must be providing instruction.

You cannot simply climb into the sim or FTD and log the time, or use it for recency of experience requirements. A complete instrument proficiency check may be conducted in the FTD or sim, however, under the care of an instructor who endorses it as such.

If you simply wish to log the approaches, you may do that also, under the supervision of an appropriately rated flight instructor.

Avbug - I was actually looking for the section that mentioned an instructor needing to be present, but didn't find it. I remember seeing that back in the days when 6 hours of instrument time was required for currency, but since the rule change, I can no longer find it. I'll have to go home and dig up my '94 FAR/AIM from back when I was learning to fly...

bigD said:
Avbug - I was actually looking for the section that mentioned an instructor needing to be present, but didn't find it. I remember seeing that back in the days when 6 hours of instrument time was required for currency, but since the rule change, I can no longer find it. I'll have to go home and dig up my '94 FAR/AIM from back when I was learning to fly...

61.51(g)(4): A flight simulator or approved flight training device may be used by a person to log instrument time, provided an authorized instructor is present during the simulated flight.

Ah, thanks Booker! For some reason I thought the clause was attached to 61.57.

You still have your 1994 regulations? Each year at new year, as a celebration of progress and an offering to the new year, I take my tattered and well-marked regulation collection outside and blow it to pieces with a .45 auto. It always makes me feel better.

Then I go buy a new one. And more ammunition.

Yeah, I'm a packrat when it comes to aviation stuff. It takes all the energy I can muster to give away my old Jepps!

avbug said:
You still have your 1994 regulations? Each year at new year, as a celebration of progress and an offering to the new year, I take my tattered and well-marked regulation collection outside and blow it to pieces with a .45 auto. It always makes me feel better.
Note to self, stay away from Avbug's place on December 31 at around midnight. Yikes.

You'll be fine...as long as you're standing behind me and to the left...the brass flies right.

Latest resources

Back