Four Corners vacation advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL000

I've never been to the desert and mountain regions surrounding the Four Corners area, but am heading out there in a few weeks.

My plan is to rent a car and just drive...try to take in as much of the road as I can in 4 days, so my perimeter around 4C needs to be relatively tight.

I have nothing set in stone, but am going to fly into ABQ, drive (roughly) west through de Chelly, then to eastern Grand Canyon, up around Glen Canyon, east to Telluride, and back down to Santa Fe/ABQ.

It's going to be a tight schedule, but the point is just to drive, drive, drive and see whatever happens to be by the side of the road (no interstates).

Are there any "must sees" y'all have in mind? My trip can be altered for both time and scenery.

Thanks a lot.

Be careful. Watch for drunken "locals", NM is the highest per capita drunken driving state in the US. North-East is the worst of the worst. You will be on Reservation lands for a lot of the time, which means poorly made and maintained roads and over 100 miles to reliable health care at times (think South America). The 550 out of ABQ is a nice drive. Been living/flying/driving in that neck of the woods for the past 18 mo. PM me for any specifics!

Stop at the road side stands -- eat the fry bread and buy some trinkets. But, especially, talk to the locals -- Native American and otherwise.

The painted desert is beautiful.

Have fun.

If you give me some notice, you can crash in my spare bedroom, I live in Angel Fire, northern NM.

Just bring beer and food :)

Aint much to see in Gallup, dont stop there. I lived there for a year.
You are starting to get pretty far from anything, so if you go out to Chinle and Canyon de chelle, be sure you have water, warm clothes, in case you get a flat or break down.

Between Farmington and Albuquerque, I would drive up into the Valles Caldera, and check out that area. If you like hippy chicks, go to Taos or Santa Fe. Santa Fe aint a hard place to get laid either, lots of educated independent outdoor oriented women move there, and your only competition is gays and gang members. I once took a woman in Red Lobster back to my hotel room.

414Flyer said:
I once took a woman in Red Lobster back to my hotel room.

So they have a carry-out menu? Did she come with melted butter and cheddar bay biscuits? Luv those things! :)

cc

" I once took a woman in Red Lobster back to my hotel room."
Hah BS!!!!

more like burgar king and the back seat of your car.:rolleyes: just kiddn'

I wouldn't call the area "south america" but there isn't much on the reservation to see. Go to grand canyon on the south rim an take a heli tour. Go back through page and stay in durango. Santa fe/taos and on to ABQ. Done.

I too live in the four corners area. It sucks.

You've gotta see the four corners monument. It's located at the exact location of utah, colorado, arizona, and new mexico. After that I'd personally hit up utah and colorado, as those states are actually pleasing to the eyes. New Mexico and Arizona are plain depressing (this coming from someone who lived in Florida, so I'm used to the greenery and water).

~wheelsup

take a trip

Ok, so I lived in Gallup at the same time as 414 flyer and can say as well to SKIP Gallup. I would also recomend to bring lots of water and warm cloths. It still gets cold at night.

A couple of places to check out are El Moro and Chaco Canyon. Check out Monument Valley and ship rock as well. You also might want to fly over Canyon de Cheley (sp?) it looks just awsome from the air!

If you have any questions feel free to pm me! I was born and raised in NM.

Chama valley, Durango, Co. Mesa Verde...
Roll up to Taos and people watch, pretty amazing.
EAT AND EAT SOME MORE! The food in those parts is great.
Have fun.
adios
snowman

Thanks for all the advice so far...I'm noting all this and will post when I get back, maybe share some photos.

I've never been to Durango, but was planning on spending a night at the New Sheridan in Telluride. Should I head south and stay in Durango instead?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back