Food For Thought

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pervis

To everyone faced with either mandatory or voluntary employment searches, I thought I'd share a conspiracy theory I came up with.

Ever hear of those real bright Yale or Harvard types that had prospects for a great entry level position at a great law firm, bank, or other high paying career that suddenly were no longer considered? Turns out they posted some stupid video or comments on blog sites that those employers found distasteful. Not all that uncommon I'll wager.

There are also programs that ID your IP address. Those that post here, for example, can be matched with the IP address used to send an application to someone like Netjets.

That said, if I were in human resources and wanted to use a cheap easy way to check up on someone's character, I would do just that. Point is, nothing is private when using the internet. Watch what you say-it may come back to haunt you. Just some food for thought.

Dude, companies have been "Googling" potential applicants for years. There have been several articles addressing this concern of candidates and employees. Use a different email for professional and casual interactions and keep them STERILE.

Try googling a friends email address and see what you find. They dont look at emails and IP's only. They also look for content where you openly present your real self too, such as myspace, facebook, etc.

Be careful. The world has gone digital.

Oh and try to keep your identity on this site a secret too. Some folks give out too much detail which can come home to roost when you least expect it.

You can't tell me you haven't personally figured out some identities around here either.

My point exactly. How many threads of NJA interviews, hiring policies and practices, and even a guy trying to buy an LOR. I'll bet there are not many acceptance emails to the biggest "inquisitors" on this website.

When I updated my resume with XOJet the other day there was some sort of link to Facebook. I couldn't quite figure out the meaning of it. Does any one know what that is all about?

I hardly use that site anymore due to the number of viruses that has been planted through their applications. Luckily my profile is squeaky clean, just like me :laugh:.

FZ

I hardly use that site anymore due to the number of viruses that has been planted through their applications. Luckily my profile is squeaky clean, just like me :laugh:.

FZ

Be careful about what you think has been purged. If you attempt a google search of something in particular (say an old profile/comment on facebook or myspace) am inactive link may be dispalyed that won't necessarily link to the supposed hit as it may have expired. If you click on the "cache" link just to the lowrr right of the search hit, you'll sometimes be able to display a frame that google captured at soem ppoijnt and stored.

Point being, there are ways to track down things that seem to be untraceable through normal searches.

Also, I've heard it is very difficult to extricate yourself from Facebook as well. Even if you cancel it, they still retain searchable personal info.

NYTimes article discussing:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/11/t...1&scp=4&sq=facebook cancel&st=cse&oref=slogin

How about just refraining from saying things that you wouldn't say in public.

Most of the folks on here are pretty good about taking the high road, but there are a few who hide behind a screen name to launch personal attacks and put out false information.

Latest resources

Back