Follow Up -NJA Dogs & kids

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

love2fly

As a follow up to the earlier post (I hit "post" too early), how does NJA and the pilots feel about children and dogs on the jets? NJA has been pushing the children issue in the print ads but we have heard that some pilots do not like the children on their planes.

Thanks?

What about Flight options?

It's OK with me.

I don't mind the kids or the dogs. I just wonder sometimes how the parents can sit there and watch them trash the living hell out of the airplane and say nothing. It seems wealth and parenting skills are two different catagories.

What difference does it make how the pilots feel? They are the customers, and if they have children or pets we smile and still give them our best.

Be that as it may, I for one would much rather fly dogs than kids. They make less of a mess.

under 7 or over 70....

I would also take the dogs over the kids anyday, especially over the "trendy, trophey adoptees". Talk about the luckiest kids on the world.
But, alas, I cannot control who I fly, and it would be miserable to try to do so. They pay the bills! When I get to own my own Jet maybe I will be able to have a say in it! So right now, at least enjoy flying the plane, not owning!
In all honesty, do the NJA pilots actually think they have a say in whether kids can fly or not? Who actually thinks that idea will float? What a way to kill business. Under 7 or over 70 doesnt sit well with waiting tables either, but any business owner knows he cannot afford to turn away that kind of business.

Re: under 7 or over 70....

BizAvFA said:
In all honesty, do the NJA pilots actually think they have a say in whether kids can fly or not?

BizAvFA,
I'll answer your question. There are no pilots at NJA (or any other fractional) that think they have a say in whether kids can be passengers on their flights. Go forth and worry no more about this issue.

My experience is that most of the pilots tolerate the kids. Some actually go out of their way to make the flight a kid friendly experience -- ex. allow the DVD or video to play before take off and include the kids in the safety talk, etc. and not pretend that they are not on the plane. It is tough with all the candy and chips on the plane which are very tempting for kids. If you let us know before we hit some turbulance, than we can make sure the kids are not holding sodas when you hit the bump. It even happens to adults -- who spill their water (especially now since NJA has been trying to fit square bottles into round cupholders--Fiji water is good but not that good). it seems OK if an adult spills a drink but a problem when the kids do.

I know of (but not first hand) several situations where overly thirstly men returning from a weekend of golf or a sporting event have "lost their chips" on the plane....theirs are moist...the kids' are still crunchy land on the carpet before being eaten not after.

But I do agree that it is upto the parents to keep their kids in control and well mannered. While they can't be "perfect angels", neither are the adults.

The honest truth is it makes no difference. The kids and dogs will be onboard (gee, I _like_ that word.. ;-) no matter what the pilots think. The biggest problems I see come from a skitterish dog/cat or parents wanting to mount their kids car seat in the rear facing seats. Note: generally speaking, the larger the child, the more the need to have them facing forward. Same thing in as in a car. The PIC tries to tell the parents what the safe procedure is (seat mounting, strapping down the pet cause of turbulence, etc..) and the parent/owner gets upset cause they don't like what the PIC is telling them. That's the only problem I've seen....

That said, I'm glad to see folks like NJAOwner noticing when we put an extra effort into seeing to the kids. As a grandfather of 5 young ones, I FULLY understand how important it is to occupy and amuse the younger children during a flight.

I always notice when we may have young kids coming onboard. [:) ] When I first get an airplane, one of the things I make sure of is that we have some fairly new and good children's movies onboard. When such a situation comes up, I preload one or more of the movies just for them. I make it a point to make the briefing as much fun and funny as I can and I do include the kids. In fact, I talk to them first, with the parents permission of course, and see what they would like to watch. I help to get their tv's setup, the headsets wired and turned on, and the movies plugged in. And I don't show them the sweets!

See, I grew up with a half dozen siblings riding in a station wagon all across the country on vacations. I know what the inside of an SUV, van, or airplane can look and sound like with a handful of bored kids. And I know what the parents are like afterwards... I take it as my job to take care of not only the kids during the flight, but to see to it that their parents... my owners... are just as relaxed and happy as those kids when they step off the bird.

Not all of my brothers and sisters are like this. I wish we all could be, but it isn't so. Experience has taught me these lessons and I'm trying to pass them on. Many of my fellow pilots haven't had the pleasure of dealing with several small children at once yet. It's not their fault they don't understand.... it's just social experience. So, don't be afraid to say something or mention this to the person you fly with. It will help.

NJAowner said:
. If you let us know before we hit some turbulance, than we can make sure the kids are not holding sodas when you hit the bump.

Typical.. what makes you think that the pilots always know when we're about to hit turbulence? If there is obvious weather outside or radar reflections, don't you think we'll turn on the seatbelt sign.... Sometimes turbulence happens in clear air. It's called "clear air turbulence." :mad:

Latest resources

Back