Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gorilla

King of Belize
While not necessarily a homebuilt, I guess it falls a bit into this group. With an RV-8 on the horizon, right now I really need a fun 2-seater that I and my kids can use before they all beat-feet to college and blow off the old man. Pro's and cons on this cool-looking warbird? Anyone fly one? Things to look for?

Thanks!

No experience with the 149 but I'm sure that geared GO-480 will need a lot of babying, vs. a direct drive. Don't know the fuel burn, though I do recall reading that the IGSO-480 was a guzzler. Plus the additional maintenance on the planetary gear. TBO around 1,200.

But man they sure do sound cool with those big pipes! More like V8s than flat-6s. And....you can park with the other warbirds at airshows. :cool:

Sometime ago I came across an old inflight vid of a 149, if I come across it I'll post it again.

GO-480's was a good engine for me, I burned 12-13 per side in a Commander (had the wet sump variety as opposed to the dry). No complaints other then they leaked a lot of oil and were loud. Doing the engine and the gear box though = $$$. Also reversing the prop/power can be confusing for a lot of people.

I have time in several different 149Ds

Cool to have 4 seats where you can wear seat cushion or backpack parachutes and do aerobatics. Roll rate is fair and uses a lot of vertical to get all the way around (pitching 20 degrees nose up for an aileron roll results in a 10 degree nose down when its all said and done)

It's loud when it flys over your head.

One I flew had a larger carb installed after there was a smaller one installed after the rebuild. Takeoff roll we ate through 30 GPH until you pulled the power back a bit after departure.

The landing gear is FAST. Hit the switch and thump...it's up. Push it down and whump...it's down. Very very very very fast extending and retracting.

Really well built airplane and if you ask me appealing to the eye. Much cheaper than some on the market since it's "foreign" it didn't (as of 2003-4) hold much of its value compared to other airplanes.

PM if you want some more info or a line on a couple for sale.

Found the video (along with other interesting ones)

http://www.pozefilm.de/genav.html (last vid, "Piggi")

Also, get a kick of that Piaggio 166 vid with their pusher GO-480s! I saw one at Sun n fun a few years ago.

Check with the previous poster...Never flown, but as I checked into one was told that it had 'lackluster' performance for the horsepower. Guess it all depends what you are looking for. Dollar for dollar, I'd probably go for an RV-8.

Get a Yak-52! They are cheap, capable, rugged, and they have a radial! We have had this talk before so you know I am a big fan of the Yak's. I can send you to the right man to have one restored or a nice one to buy right now.

It is a very cool community with TONS of support! If you are looking to catch a ride in one, I can help you out there as well!

Here is my baby where she belongs...

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2666522170077747909FuYvFm

Hey, I have been the mechanic for one of these critters since 1993. The fuselage is massively robust, lotsa rivets and reinforcing gussets. The engine is reasonable if one does not drive the engine with the prop. The original prop is ok but o-haul time will be hard, only one or two shops in the country have the manuals. My owner replaced it with a Hartzell(I think, cant remember), I replaced the brakes with a Cleveland, Baron conversion kit, new axles and some other engineering bits and chunks. I have done most of the condition inspections on the A/C for the last 15 or so years.
PBR

Latest resources

Back