• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FO Check Airman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...at the current 'big four' (Xjet, Eagle, Skywest, AWAC)?

Wow, that's a pretty random "big four". What exactly are the criteria for joining your "big" list? Can it only be four, or if another airline becomes eligible will it be the "big five"? What if one of the "bigs" become smaller? Holy cow, have you opened a can of worms!

Wow, that's a pretty random "big four". What exactly are the criteria for joining your "big" list? Can it only be four, or if another airline becomes eligible will it be the "big five"? What if one of the "bigs" become smaller? Holy cow, have you opened a can of worms!
I was thinking the same thing.

I guess his big 4 has to do with RJs because we all know the Embraer 170 is a mainline airplane compared to all the other barbie jets out there;) :D

We fell for this scam hook line and sinker.

Actually, it is a mainline airplane and should be flown by the mainlines; as are and should be (respectively) the 70 and 90 seat Canadair Challengers. Paint the word "Express" on the side of a big airplane and "Presto!" Full sized airplane at minor league airlines.

Also, if you read what EMB170pilot wrote more carefully than he wrote it he makes that exact statement not once, but twice.

I guess his big 4 has to do with RJs because we all know the Embraer 170 is a mainline airplane compared to all the other barbie jets out there;) :D
Still makes no sense to me. AWAC only flys CRJ200's, and quite frankly not very many of them at that (relatively speaking to some other operators). Eagle: I get it.
Skywest: I get it.
XJet: I get it.
AWAC: ????
Again, what is the criteria? We're all on pins and needles!

As for the comment about, "who cares about their rank if they can do the job?" That is accurate assuming that person has been in the left seat somewhere else before. Sorry to rain on the 'know-all FO' parade, but there's just some stuff that you must experience in order to properly teach. Sorry, that's just the way it is and there's no way to buy/suck your way around it.

-Blucher

Hey, it was before my first cup of coffee. Sheesh guys, get a grip. Just be glad I didn't mention Mesa.

Still makes no sense to me. AWAC only flys CRJ200's, and quite frankly not very many of them at that (relatively speaking to some other operators). Eagle: I get it.
Skywest: I get it.
XJet: I get it.
AWAC: ????
Again, what is the criteria?

Well if you are going by aircraft size, then yes, awac is out (along with xjet for that matter). It does seem that is what many on here base airline quality on. As far as getting it, that all depends on what you are looking for, here's how I see it:

Eagle: Mainline flowbacks with long upgrade. Things are supposedly starting to finally move, but still a long road.
Skywest: Crappy first year pay with questionable large RJ rates all without a union. Hasn't bit you yet, but hey, the upgrade is fast!
XJet: Good company for pay and contract, but the self-branded gig is still new and unproven. I hear it's doing well, but still early in the game.
AWAC: Good pay/contract, a stable contract (for a while at least) with airways, and a privately backed company with the resources to expand when they choose.

Every company has their good and bad, awac included, but the big four for me is going to be different than everyone else. Upgrade and size of equipment is not always the most important factor in someones decision.

G2T,

Well now, that's completely different. That's saying "my big four," now we have context. By saying "the big four," most people immediately think of numbers of pilots and aircraft or perhaps highest profits. Not sure which, that's why I was looking for a clarification. I was confused because although AWAC could well be a fantastic company, it still has only around 70 a/c and approx 800 pilots. In fact, of the companies he/she listed, it is the only one that is not even on the 'major' section of airlinepilotcentral, it's in the 'regional' section. It's similar to me saying I hope one day to work for one of the 4 big legacy carriers (Delta, American, United, Skybus).

-Blucher

Latest resources

Back