Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FLYi's business plan is falling apart (unfortunately)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks - figures that Skywest would pick those planes up - I guess FLYI didn't realy need 87 CRJs... do you know how much Skywest might have paid for those kinds of aircraft? I wonder if the sale will be a big help in FLYI avoiding bankruptcy.

Last edited:
I sometimes commute on Independance and have found the empolyees to be great. Nice clean a/c great attitude and good schedules. I hope it works out for them.
Good luck to you guys and Thanks for the rides

My guess

Sometime soon, maybe this week, you will hear about a grand shift in plans for us at FLYI. Looks like that maybe 20 CRJs, in addition to the 4 already gone, will be leaving the property. The original plan called for 56 RJ's and 33 319's. (We were dealt with 87 RJ's and had to try to find demand for them) You will see several cities being shutdown, in addition to LAN and DAY. Reduced frequency to some markets and increased frequency to others will be announced shortly afterword. We do REALLY well heading south and GREAT in the USAir hubs. That demand is helping to direct a new plan.

Now I also hear that we will be getting back the 5 319's in 2005 and also picking up 5 more leased birds in 2005. The sale of the RJ's will address our liquity problem in the short term and increase our load factor up to around 70% at current levels if you elminate the bad cities. The increase in 319's will allow expansion to not only FL destinations, which are oversaturated anyway, but allow expansion to the West of the Mississippi.

A new marketing team is already making the rounds to the outstations, a first for FLYi and trying to adddress marketing deficiencies, which we have alot of.

Now the bad part, we will be looking at around 250-300 layoffs of pilots, in addition to the ones already announced, getting us down to around the 1000 pilot mark. This number may not be totally accurate as we are losing 5-10 a month due to retirement and attrition, and you also have to factor in a training bubble along with managment pilots, ect...

Disclaimor- Just my speculation and info I have acquired from several sources

Whereabouts is the 1000th pilot in terms of DOH?

46Driver said:
Somewhere around February, 2001.
Eeeek... That knocks off another three people I know, in addition to the one I already know who's furloughed.

:mad:

I haven't talked to any of them in a dog's age, but perhaps I should start burning some minutes on the old cellie...

Just flew 709BR today. Good clean aircraft. You folks took real good care of it. I hope the infusion of cash helps you guys keep flying. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back