Flying without License

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hjheitka

Some told me that if you forgot your license, and you had copies of you license and medical, that you were alright to go. Is this tru? Do airlines fax your license to you if you forgot it somehow? Thanks

Hi...

I don't think that "forgetting" your certificate is covered in the Regs, however, the excerpt below is specific on obtaining a replacement if necessary. Nothing is mentioned about using a copy.

§ 61.29 (e) A person who has lost an airman certificate, medical certificate, or knowledge test report may obtain a facsimile from the FAA Aeromedical Certification Branch or the Airman Certification Branch, as appropriate, confirming that it was issued and the:

(1) Facsimile may be carried as an airman certificate, medical certificate, or knowledge test report, as appropriate, for up to 60 days pending the person's receipt of a duplicate under paragraph (a), (b), or (c) of this section, unless the person has been notified that the certificate has been suspended or revoked.

Regards

Fax from OKC is the closest thing to a photocopy that would be legal. Just having a copy of your certificate is no good.

Most airlines, and operators (135) etc that are a step ahead of things have applied for and received exemption 53xx (sorry, dont recall exact number). If an operator is approved for exemption, a crew may fly without certificate during time OKC is unavailable. One gets this exemption by applying, and showing pilot records are maintained, cross checked with FAA, and on file at company. A similar exemption exists for registration.

That's the only photo copy exemption I'm aware of....

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that a one-way exemption. Basically, it will get you back to the domicile.

The faxed copy from your airline records dept is good for 24 hours. I guess you could get one each day until you get a faxed copy from OKC.

Link to 8400 describing Exemption 5487/5560

http://www1.faa.gov/avr/afs/faa/8400/8400_vol5/5_009_02.pdf

Couldnt come up with it yesterday. St. Paddie's ya know....

Must request fax from FAA within 72 hours, provide company fax within 24 hours of receipt, lower 48 states only etc...Placarded "issued under authority of Exemption 5487".

Individual approved plans may be more restrictive, so the good only back to domicile or 24 hour period might be a company imposed limitation and spanking.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back