Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BradG

Poor Flight Instructor
I am getting ready to re-locate to Downtown Chicago in January and I am looking for a place to do some flying that is accessable via Public transportation. We're selling both of our cars, so I need somewhere that can be reached on the train/bus. Any suggestions?

Chicago, my old stomping grounds. Since your such a poor flight instructor how can you afford to live downtown?

Some flying as in work or just for fun?

Either way, about the only place that is accessible by public transportation is MDW. You could take the Metra out towards PWK, but it stops about 5 minutes away. Not sure if there is a PACE bus or not from the station to the airport or close to it. Those are really your only options.

You could try Gary, there is an electric train (the South Shore Line) that leaves from Millenium Park and stops at the Gary airport. The flight school that was at MDW just moved there not so long ago. Aviation Professionals I believe.

Yea go to gary if you want to be shot! Aviation professionals didn't move to gary they opened up another office there and it has been about 4 years. The south shore line that alabamaman is refering to is operated by the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District.

Last edited:
Give me a break. Going to the Gary airport isnt going to get you shot. You must live out in the suburbs, huh?

Nope No burbs for me. Born, raised and live on the southside. Perhaps you have never been to gary.

When I used to live in Chicago, I flew out of the Gary airport many times my friend. Even ventured into Gary itself every now and then. It really isnt any different then wondering off Stony Island Ave or Garfield Blvd.

Where on the southside do you live?

the Gary airport is surrounded by the interstate, a refinery and the lake, the boys in the hood dont chill at GYY. Go fly at API, they're good guys and you'll be safe

Latest resources

Back