• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying a Caravan for Turbine PIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the caravan is a good idea. You are gonna be on an LOA anyways so you still have your old job for later. Sounds like fun, enjoy!

There is absolutley no reason for a person with his expereince to go back and fly a Caravan at this point.................. ............. ................................... The key to this career is finding the most direct route to your end goal, while having fun along the way. There will be plenty of chances in his career to go backwards...
Agreed but as far as I know, he is not making the choice between ME PIC and SE PIC. He making a choice to get PIC, of which it appears he has little. It is a stepping stone and he should not by-pass it to continue getting more SIC time. He is not signing on for a career in teh Caravan, only a chance to build time that is more meaning ful than SIC time.

How much tpic are the majors looking for? I will be flying an f-90 king air part 91, will this help my regional resume or any possible major airline chances?

Enjoy the journey I say, if you are always taking a job to meet the next milestone, you will never enjoy the flying that you are currently doing!

Hey, my .02 is a slightly different take on the same problem:

flying a Caravan (I did it for 2 years and it was a blast) = Part 135

Part 135 = waaaaay higher risks to your certificate, due to the nature of the operations, the fact that you don't have the support of Mx, dispatchers etc (in Part 135 the PIC is the ONLY person responsible for the airplane: if Mx misses an AD or does not document it accurately, YOU my friend are on the hook-- as opposed to checking that there is a signature on a Mx release that clears you from any responsibility)

This is without even adding to the mix the shady nature of many, many Part 134.5 operators... there are a few good ones and plenty bad ones.

I mention this because you really need to be aware of this extra risk, it completely changes the equation. This has nothing to do with safety of flight, I'm sure you are a sh!t hot pilot, it has to do with safety of career...

hope this helps...

As far as resume etc, is concerned, nothing is evaluated in a vacuum. If ALL you have is Caravan TPIC, and nothing else that is interesting, then you would prob not be very competitive. But if you have that on top of jet SIC with eagle, maybe some Crj700 time (foreign carriers like EK make a big deal out of >30 tonnes for some reason) and a story to go with your decision, I think it would be an asset.

good luck

What about leaving a regional to get heavy internationa time at a cargo airline as sic. Keep building pic above 1000 hours or try something new.

Hey, my .02 is a slightly different take on the same problem:

flying a Caravan (I did it for 2 years and it was a blast) = Part 135

Part 135 = waaaaay higher risks to your certificate, due to the nature of the operations, the fact that you don't have the support of Mx, dispatchers etc (in Part 135 the PIC is the ONLY person responsible for the airplane: if Mx misses an AD or does not document it accurately, YOU my friend are on the hook-- as opposed to checking that there is a signature on a Mx release that clears you from any responsibility)

This is without even adding to the mix the shady nature of many, many Part 134.5 operators... there are a few good ones and plenty bad ones.

I mention this because you really need to be aware of this extra risk, it completely changes the equation. This has nothing to do with safety of flight, I'm sure you are a sh!t hot pilot, it has to do with safety of career...

hope this helps...

As far as resume etc, is concerned, nothing is evaluated in a vacuum. If ALL you have is Caravan TPIC, and nothing else that is interesting, then you would prob not be very competitive. But if you have that on top of jet SIC with eagle, maybe some Crj700 time (foreign carriers like EK make a big deal out of >30 tonnes for some reason) and a story to go with your decision, I think it would be an asset.

good luck
good post, now let me ask this, are you a better pilot because of the time you spent as a PIC in the Caravan?

What about saying to hell with these airlines all together? Prolly a better plan than chasing that Major airline dream.

good post, now let me ask this, are you a better pilot because of the time you spent as a PIC in the Caravan?

Are you kidding? I'm the one who taught Chuck Y how to fly! :)

Honestly though, I wouldn't know. My Caravan experience was part of a standard progression (after flight instructing, before regionals). It was a ton of fun, it was sort of 'airline lite' since I was interacting with ticketing agents, maintenance, passengers and freight people. I made my mistakes and learned from them, and there was a lot of hand flying in weather (since the AP sucked in weather). I survived my mistakes which is overall exciting...

... but I don't know how much actual airmanship someone coming from a 121 job would gain by flying the mighty Van. but then again, we're not talking about flying skills, we are talking about PIC skills = decision skills, mission vs. safety vs company bull etc... that's the value intrinsic to PIC on the resume: who made the final call as to go or no go?

I left Eagle after about 4 years to go fly 135 and try to get that PIC turbine box checked. It's a crap shoot, you have to enjoy what you're going to be doing / flying, and there is a lot more to the PC-12 job than just flying the PC-12. Pay, Benefits, time off, time away from home, etc, etc.

Although the only one that knows what's right for you is YOU, if you think you'll be happy at the PC-12 gig, give it a shot, you're going to be doing it for at least 2-3 years to get your 500 TPIC anyway. That'll also be the time you could have spent at xyz regional bidding a good schedule etc waiting for the upgrade.

Latest resources

Back