• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying a Caravan for Turbine PIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bum gouge, as a hiring manager I would be much more impressed with the Caravan PIC than I would be with more RJ SIC. Having hired a few Caravan drivers, who now all have their choice in jobs now, Ca at Air Canada, Fortune 10 comapny and DC-9 Captainn.

Too early to even make QOL a consideration in the next job.

No offense YIP, but you are not typical. And you are/were hiring for a night freight outfit which, not to put too fine a point on it, likes to hire misfits that aren't going anywhere else too soon. And if I was in the OP's shoes I wouldn't be looking for two more steps to a major, I'd be looking for one step.

No offense YIP, but you are not typical. And you are/were hiring for a night freight outfit which, not to put too fine a point on it, likes to hire misfits that aren't going anywhere else too soon. And if I was in the OP's shoes I wouldn't be looking for two more steps to a major, I'd be looking for one step.
You mean like the mis-fits who have come here, built time and moved on to DAL, NWA, SWA, FedEx, Atlas, UPS, AirTran, Jetblue, NJ, etc. Like the mis-fit who came here after going to one of the military academies, or came to us out of military flight training, or had been furloughed by a major. Those kind of misfits?

These guys are still my friends, we stay in touch, get together over lunch, and we enjoyed the time we spent together in the on-demand business. I think the world of them, and the small part I may have played in allowing them to get to the next level in their career.

I just helped one of my students and a business partner buy a king air f-90 yesterday. They want to send me to Sim Com for training, is there other options? I expected about 250-500 hours a year flight time in the f-90, I really lucked out on this one!!!

Whatever you do, do not go to sim com, horrible facility, there has to be other options.

Single-engine TPIC in a viper or harrier = competitive
SE TPIC in a Van, Pilatus, etc = not so competitive...there are a lot of RJ guys with ME TPIC, glass cockpit, 121 experience.

Most major airlines will allow SE TPIC, but that's really only for the fighter guys. As always, exceptions will be made for those who are very well connected.

Single-engine TPIC in a viper or harrier = competitive
SE TPIC in a Van, Pilatus, etc = not so competitive...there are a lot of RJ guys with ME TPIC, glass cockpit, 121 experience.

Most major airlines will allow SE TPIC, but that's really only for the fighter guys. As always, exceptions will be made for those who are very well connected.

From TexasPilot What does anyone know about single engine pic time in a caravan? I am thinking about leaving Eagle after 4.5 years. With an LOA of course. What does anyone know about caravan time leading to a decent career job? My friends at Southwest are begging me to do this...

Back to the beginning, this pilot appears to have none of those things, he has no ME TPIC, so getting turbine PIC is a step in the right direction. He is not taking the Caravan job for the rest of his life, but only until he can get a better job to build his resume. Besides the fact being forced to fly as SE PIC, night IFR, icing etc. He will develope those skills that make him a better pilot. I would hire this guy in heartbeat over a pilot with 500 turbine ME PIC, dropping jumpers out a Otter in AZ.

He is making a mistake listening to the advice to bypass this job in order to build more SIC time.

Glass time is the new thing interview boards are looking at. (ease of training) The caravan is a dead end.

Glass time is the new thing interview boards are looking at. (ease of training) The caravan is a dead end.
Have to disagree, PIC is still the premier resume fluff. I have seen too many people move from Caravan to places like SWA, Air Canada, and NJ, of course after passing through JUS.

There is absolutley no reason for a person with his expereince to go back and fly a Caravan at this point(unless he's being furloughed and looking for something to pass the time). He's been at the regionals for 4.5 years flying ATR's and RJ's. If he's willing to take a Caravan job, then he must be pretty desperate. He should easily be able to find something better and more career advancing. Yip, I'm sure you're a nice guy, but some times I think you live in a vacuum. Taking a Caravan job would do nothing but put this person a step backward in his career progression. It is not good advice... FWIW, if this is a SWA chasing thing, I worked with a guy who's father and Uncle are very senior Capts at SWA. He went the Caravan route, surpassed the 1000TPIC mark and then still ended up at another company to get ANOTHER 1000TPIC in a jet because the caravan was not competative at the time. There may be some guys/gals who make it work for them, but it is not the norm... The key to this career is finding the most direct route to your end goal, while having fun along the way. There will be plenty of chances in his career to go backwards...

Latest resources

Back