Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

geojet707

Plenty Long & Mighty Dry
Any idea if and when FLOPS will hire this year and how many?? Thanks....

B-J-J Fighter said:
Someone on here said not until the whole union thing gets sorted out. Are quite a few leaving FLOPS?

It's not the union that is stopping hiring for now. It's the initiative to get rid of the old aiplanes and sell new/profitable contracts. We are going to show a net loss of aircraft this year, don't quote me but gaining somewhere around 10 and losing 15-20. They tell us this program to modernize is going faster than anticipated and should be mostly complete by year end 2006. Don't look for any hiring until Q1 2007, just my opinion.

Are quite a few leaving? That depends on your definition of "quite a few". About 20-30 depending on who you ask since January 1st.

That said, why come here?

1) The contract will take forever. 24 months, at least.

2) Even if a contract is signed, current upgrades are 5+ years on the Bjet. A March 2004 hire (almost exactly a two year pilot) is only 70 from the bottom. A transition to the Hawker is five years away, under a pretty optimistic scenario.

3) This place is for sale. Junior people are usually the ones that get the shaft in an aquisition.

4) Quality of Life is slipping. Even with the union, the quality of life on the road is slipping

5) You will have no schedule. You will be on a flex schedule. For right now, our schedulers can't handle a 8/7 schedule that never changes. However, they will figure out the flex someday, and you will be on it permanently, and this means no holidays for you. Holidays are a peak travel time.

6) Career organizations don't suffer the attrition we're suffering over the last 2 years. Its career stagflation around here. Attrition of personnel is matching the attrition of aircraft, so you have a job (good news) but its a totally dead end position (bad news.)
Caveat emptor

Last edited:
AceCrackshot said:
5) You will have no schedule. You will be on a flex schedule. For right now, our schedulers can't handle a 8/7 schedule that never changes. However, they will figure out the flex someday, and you will be on it permanently, and this means no holidays for you. Holidays are a peak travel time.

So far the flex has been really nice to us new guys I have had the past 23 days off and counting.

Mostly because our schedulers are, to be charitable, pinheads.

The ultimate idea was to put captains, or force captains to be on corresponding flex schedules with you. The fact that you've had 23 days off is more indictative of OCC and upper management incompetence than anything else.

You've had your days off because of two reasons

1) All captains are off flex

2) Schedulers are operating at a sixth grade mentality

greygoose said:
So far the flex has been really nice to us new guys I have had the past 23 days off and counting.

I've heard noth sides to this story. I've heard it's feast or famine on the flex. Some people say they're always at home (and I can't get vacation) and some people say they work the max 15 days every month (most being weekends and holidays) and hate being on call EVERY DAY for 21 days. Let's face it, this is a LOSER of a schedule. NJA has a flex that can be dealt with. . .sure, no 9 hard days off in a row, but they know their schedule 3 months in advance. none of this, "well, nothing now, call us tomorrow" BS. IMHO the NJA flex wouldn't be all bad, like a schedule an airline pilot would have but without the commuting on your own personal time. I wouldn't mind being home for fewer days in a row if I could work a few 4 day tours every now and then.

It's nice if you like stby at home. I like knowing my sked. Of course I hate the 8 days but not having to deal with the compnay for 7 is nice. I am not a stby type person (home, hotel or fbo).

STAY AWAY FROM HERE

Upgrade is way too long, pay sucks, domicle program sucks.

There are better companies to work for.

I am, however, glad to be unionized! We will fight to the end

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back