flight planning to Cancun

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airbaker

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should plan for a CJ trip (part 91) from Long Beach, CA to Cancun? I've been to MMTO (Toluca, Mex.) a few times in our Excel, but this will be my first trip deep into Mexico with a CJ. I know it can't make it on one tank of gas, hence my questions as to how I should file. I've never made an interim stop within Mexico for fuel and I'm not sure if it's practical. I was just eyeballing it the other day and thought it might be better to head to McAllen, TX, tank-up, then make the hop over to Cancun. Only problem is I don't have an HF, so I can't cut right across the Gulf. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You might want to consider stopping in one of the resort areas in Mexico like MMSD, to tank up and clear customs at the same time. I say MMSD, San Jose De Cabo, because it is easy to get in and out of there, and people speak good English. It may be a little out of your way, (didn't look at it on the chart), but go to some place like this. If you clear customs somewhere else in Mexico, you can hit the ground running when you get to MMUN.

How long are you staying in Cancun? I would suggest that if you have some time, and you would like to see the sights, take a ride over to Chichen Itza, and see the ancient city. A new airport was completed over there about a year and a half ago. Very nice, with a 10,000 runway. If you drove over, its a bout a 2 hour drive from Cancun.

Good Luck! :D

Texas is a good idea and then plan a route that takes you down the coast, VHF will work up to 100-200 miles off the coast. If 135, then you have the 50 NM requirement, good english is spoken, OK as good as going to Toluca, all the way down. Much better than going way out of the way with say Cabo. Laredo is a great place for fuel, not sure of the distance to Cancun from there ? Aero Services KLRD will work out a great price for you too. PM me and I will tell you who to talk to.

Have fun,

Adios Amigo !

I do Cancun and Cozamel on a regular basis. Also Cabo. I have found Cabo to be overly expensive as far as fees. You don't need HF along any of the routings on that area. I fly New Orleans and Houston to Cancun regularly and do not have a HF radio. Depending on the altitude radar coverage may be a little skimpy. But at FL390 and above, Mexican ATC has radar contact usually at or near the FIR boundary. On the Texas Border. McAllen, Brownsville and Harlingen are good stops. I have used Tampico in Mexico several times without problem. Unles you are a regular, I would stay away from Carmen. And Merida can be a problem from time to time. And Monterey is also a good choice.

Be aware that the Tourist board is getting on the airport authorities. So make sure you have all your paperwork, including Mexican insurance.

Have fun.

flight to Cancun

airbaker
I have operated in and out of that area for over twenty years.
Cancun is by no stretch deep in Mexico,but you must follow the new exit and entry procedures (approved portals).Mexican permits and insurance are required. This is a very easy trip however it can turn into a large mess without the above items.
Equipment requirements are spelled out in the f.a.r.s however if you are a member of NBAA you may request a waiver for a single long range nav.
Have a safe trip!

Brownsville works great, I don't know if you will be doing this regularly or not but if so Hunt Panam should give you a smokin' price on fuel and good service. They are really good for quick turns.

Latest resources

Back