• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Instructors forced to wear epaulates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Realize it? Unfortunately, you're foolish enough to believe it.

When you one day grow up and find something else to do aside from being the uniform police for operators for whom you don't work (and with which you have no connection), and one day when you bother to substantiate your facts (of which you as yet have none), you may not post so foolishly.

Do you carry a ruler to ensure that each pilot at the terminal or FBO wears their wings the requisite distance above their pocket, that their gig line is straight, and that the shade of blue in their unpleated uniform pants matches the company specification? Do you do that, or are you simply selective regarding who's business it is into which you decide to inject yourself.

You've failed to answer the question, so it bears asking again; how do you know this individual was a pilot? A flight instructor? Off-duty? For whom did this alleged instructor work? You haven't replied thus far because you really don't know.

You're too busy sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, in this case the motorcycle seat of the alleged instructor, that you really don't need facts. After all, isn't it so much more professional for you to go off half-cocked pass judgement outside your area of concern, and mind someone else's business?

Do this: find out who it is for whom this person you saw works. Report them. Protect us all from this terrible slight on our collective reputation. After all, you think you're the man for the job; you're the one willing to butt in where you don't belong. You might as well push it as far as you can go. Why stop at passing judgment regarding things that don't concern you, when you can really inject yourself well beyond your bounds? Go for it. You know you want to, don't you?

The problem is that you really have no idea where to begin, as you don't know who it is for whom this person worked, what they do, or any other tidbit remotely related to the facts. You saw someone on a motorcycle, rushed to judgment, and had to rush here to the internet to tell us all.

Does your head come with it's own satellite system, or perhaps just some small moons? It's certainly getting big enough. You're already judge and jury. Have you considered hiring out as executioner?

Even if I proved it to you that this guy was an instructor or whatever, it wouldn't matter for you. The truth is, it doesn't matter what he was. He was wearing a uniform in an unprofessional matter, degrading the pilot image.

I think you've got the wrong impression of me though, no I don't carry a ruler and no I don't usually make comments on uniforms. It's just that what I saw was not something you'd expect, it was not ordinary. He showed lack of professionalism and also disregard for safety by holding a bag while riding a motorcycle, all in uniform. Some have also agreed here with that sentiment. My feelings are that this profession is already in the toilet, the last thing we should be doing is personally hurting our professional image, the only thing that we have left.

Last edited:
Even if I proved it to you that this guy was an instructor or whatever, it wouldn't matter for you. The truth is, it doesn't matter what he was.

You can't prove anything, because the truth is that you just don't know. You don't know that the individual was a pilot, let alone a flight instructor. Never the less, you firmly believe this individual slighted you, some how.

Doesn't matter what he was? Suppose he was a bellman, sent by someone in his apartment complex to pick up a Big Mac? It doesn't matter that he's not a pilot, but some how he's denigrating the pilot world at large?

It doesn't matter what his profession, only that he's giving pilots a bad name by riding on a motorcycle?

It doesn't matter what his profession might be, but it's the combination of eating at McDonalds and riding a motorcycle that's dragging down aviation?

Mind your own business.

He was wearing a uniform in an unprofessional matter, degrading the pilot image.

The mighty pilot image. Ah, vanity.

How many times do you gaze in the mirror each day to take in "the pilot image?"

A uniform is a company-specific item which prevents you from arriving on the flight deck naked.

In the course of my career, I've worn pilot uniforms that consisted of white shirt-and tie, nomex jump suits, blue jeans and tee shirt, polo shirt and slacks, shorts and flip-flops, flight suit and parachute, helmet boots and flight suit, suit and tie, jeans and shirt, etc. Each what the company, organization, agency, operator wanted to see. Or didn't want to see, as some operations demanded anonymity. Never the less, the one common thread among each of those operations was that not a single one was any of your business. More to the point, at no point did you collect my paycheck or earn my money, or fly in my cockpit, or have any say in any way, shape, or form regarding what I wore, or wear. Or how I might wear it, for that matter.

The only consideration there exists between me and the person paying my paycheck. The same goes for the alleged instructor (the one you can't identify by name, job, or employer). It's really none of your business.

You remind me of the blonde who, when riding in a car with her boyfriend, spied another blonde sitting in a rowboat in a plowed field. The blonde in the rowboat was attempting to row madly as though she were going someplace, but was obviously sitting still (being in a boat on the dirt in a field, you see). The blonde in the car demanded her boyfriend pull over, where upon she jumped from the car, ran to the fence surrounding the field, and began angrily shaking her fist.

"Blondes like that give blonde's like me a bad name!" she said, angrily. "And if I wasn't dressed no nicely, I'd swim out there and give her a piece of my mind."

Mind your own business.

I think you've got the wrong impression of me though, no I don't carry a ruler and no I don't usually make comments on uniforms.

Not at all. I've got a very accurate impression of you. You enjoy sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, and have the misguided idea that others owe you something. Perhaps you even feel self-imporant enough to believe that anyone should care what you think about their uniform.

You usually don't make comments about uniforms, unless someone happens to be riding a motorcycle, the cardinal sin, which can only be compounded by carrying a McDonalds meal.

Then again, you're the same one who adamantly claimed that you said nothing about wages, when you introduced the five dollar wage in your initial comments. You can't even keep your own commentary straight, so it's little wonder you're having trouble making the world do what you want it to do.

It's just that what I saw was not something you'd expect, it was not ordinary.

There we have it. Children and small minds tend to react to that which isn't familiar, and to lash out at that which is different. Which one are you?

He showed lack of professionalism and also disregard for safety by holding a bag while riding a motorcycle, all in uniform.

Was it the uniform that made him unsafe again, or was it the McDonalds?

I've carried bags while riding a motorcycle on many occasions, quite safely. Perhaps you need some driver's education, as well as a little more maturity and a lot less ego.

Some have also agreed here with that sentiment.

Ah, well there you go. That changes everything. Someone as immature as you agrees with you on flightinfo, of all places. You've made a breakthrough. Perhaps you can start a support group; Over-Egotistical Immature Pilots Anonymous. 12 steps to sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. OEIPA, coming soon to a high school gymnasium near you.

My feelings are that this profession is already in the toilet, the last thing we should be doing is personally hurting our professional image, the only thing that we have left.

Image is nothing. Obey your thirst.

Well, what does look a little repulsive is the car parked in the FBO lot with a pilot shirt hanging off a hanger with serious ring-around-the-collar yellowing.

Reflects poorly on ones hygiene, and your car identifies you.

Pilot uniforms look stupid and outdated regardless of who's wearing them or what job the person wearing it happens to have.

degrading the pilot image.

Oh, I think that ship sailed a long time ago. If the public had a choice between a drunken pilot or one that eats at McDonalds and rides a motorcycle in uniform which do you think they will pick?

I think you are way off base here. Just let this issue die a quiet death. IMHO you are urinating into the wind.

Latest resources

Back