Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airpiraterob

LaForge Sayz:
ive heard recently the performance reports and everything sounds outstanding!! with all that fuel the 23/24/25 has. doubles the range i think? wow!

anyway, do any of you see a disadvantage to this conversion and has anyones flight departments expressed any interest in this yet? or is everything about it all good?

think its still awaiting final approval...or they might have already started working on customer aircraft.

again just currious.

(i wonder what other planes this would work out on?)

I believe that with the conversion the fuselage tank is removed. They have to do this due to rotor burst requirements.

I remember that the range will still be about 1500-1700 nm with the wing and tip fuel.

The program recently made its first flight, will take about a year and 300+ hours of test flying before certification.

As far as interest, who knows. The cost for the conversion is in the 2.2 - 2.3 million range, plus cost of aircraft if not already owned. A lot of money to spend on airframe that is 20 to 30 years old.

In addition, you will no longer be able to enjoy those mean, screamin GE CJ610s as they takoff! :cool:

SabreFlyR said:
As far as interest, who knows. The cost for the conversion is in the 2.2 - 2.3 million range, plus cost of aircraft if not already owned. A lot of money to spend on airframe that is 20 to 30 years old.

I'll be surprised if this conversion ever gets popular... In that cost range you can buy a decent Lear 35 ($2.2 Million for the conversion plus say $800,000 for an old 25) you are looking at 3.0 million... Plus remember DRVSM is coming, I don't think there is a certification package for the old 20 series (I could be wrong on this)

I don't believe that that the Williams conversion will be all that popular. Right now 25's are going for under 800K. And that is for a mid range D model. On the straight 25s the price range is 400K or less. All depending on the engines. In the 20s engines are everything, considering that is now costs over 400K each to overhaul the engines. At 2.2m right now you can purchase mid to late serial number 35s, Westwinds, or early Hawker 700s or a fanned 600.

Falcon Capt, you are correct there is presently no RVSM package for the 20s. There are two companies working on it, but none is certified yet. IMO it is a crap shoot until they get it certified. There is no gaurantee of it. I heard the price these companies are qouting is 150K. Until it is certified and the first half dozen have gone out the door, I wouldn't hold my breath on the price. Then there are the extras. A new autopilot, if the current one doesn't meet the new requirements (very probable), TCAS (if your operations take you into areas where it is requires), etc.

Yeah, I think in a year or two you won't see hardly any 20 series Lears left...

Speaking of 20 series Lears... Any chance you were at KPTK yesterday afternoon doing training in a 20 series?

Falcon, No I was not in PTK.

Chicaga, It ain't over until the fat lady sings. meaning that until these companies have the certification approval in their hands, I wouldn't bet on it. And as for the dates given, maybe, maybe not. When you deal with certification, dates are not real firm. Right now we are considering all our 20s as throw aways. While we are doing required maintenance, we are not painting or doing other cosmedic work. We have one 25 that is coming up for a 12 year inspection next year. We have put that on hold until the RVSM question is finally resolved. If if comes due before the certification is complete, we have schedule to park the aircraft until such time the question is answered. It is too expensive an inspecion to do for only a few months use. And there are other operators thinking along the same lines.

what will the box haulers do?

what will the Air Net's and the like do with their 24's and 25's? what'll replace those options for cheap high speed freight?
(i know this is getting near the wrong board and off topic...but currious)

I think that most of their fleet is 35's.

As far as cheap freight haulers. Fly at 270 & 280 sucking massive amounts of kerosene will be the only option for the Lear if they can't certify the auto-pilot for rvsm.

For the guys flying checks (Airnet, Chipola, etc.) it's not really a concern flying at lower levels. The FRB is paying for the fuel. If i would own one of these companies i would see, with enthusiasm, a lot of cheap spare airplanes and parts coming up.

Just my 0.02 $

Latest resources

Back