• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

first flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well the stand on the runway with a plane wash is what the ERAU Sport Aviation Club does. They goto the local fly-in community and the stand on the main taxi ways just after all the planes come back from breakfast.

Yeah, I talked to the president of the club and he said that we could do plane washes at our airport for personal planes, and also do the flight school's planes for flight hours. I was just appointed fundraising chair, so I have to get crankin' with this. So far we are working on this as well as corporate sponsorship in the near future. Any ideas?

Erik

I would agree with the idea of outside studying. I made the mistake early in my private of not studying. I passed my private ok but when I got into instrument, studying was really hard. There are some redundant things, but not much. It's a whole new ballgame. You'll need to spend a whole lot of time studying. Also, get the Jep book. I know it's expensive but it's the best and most comprehensive.

Also, If I were you I would try to fly out of PDK. I know it's busy but if you plan on going all the way it will be something you have to get used to. When you begin your instrument you will be glad you've had a lot of radio work. You'll have a lot to do while flying the airplane, fumbling with charts, and changing nav/com frequencies. Having a good feel for ATC will make this easier. Learn all you can now.

ALso, learn that private stuff!! I thought I was done with that stuff after I got my ticket. I am working on my mult-commercial right now and guess what? A lot of private stuff involved. You may not use much of it in the instrument phase, but you'll need it again later. Good luck.

Exactly what Jep Book are you talking about? I've seen them in stores, but what is the exact title? Also, I've seen software available that helps you learn to use the radio/ATC. I can't remember the name of it, but if you know what I'm talking about, is it worth the money? I'm having to put some money aside right now and save up for my lessons so I can get enough flying in without too much time in between each lesson. So now I'm just kind of stocking up on supplemental material so I'll be ready and be ahead of the game (FS2002, Gliem's Test Book, Private Pilot Manual, etc.). I'm really looking into getting this radio training software. What do you think?

Jepp books

Jeppesen-Sanderson is a company that primarily publishes instrument approach charts. You'll be immersed fully in those when you start working on your Instrument rating. Jepp also publishes textbooks and study materials for certificates and ratings. See if you can find the Jepp Private Pilot course at an FBO. Central to the course is the Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual.

Really, though, if you're at all serious about learning as much as you can for your certificate, you should find a class. You'll learn adequately studying at home, but going to class and interacting with the class and instructor is the best way to learn the material in depth.

Good luck with your flying.

Private books

Another book I wish I had purchased when first starting my private; The Airplane Flying Handbook - its available at most FBOs and through ASA. Goes into the actual mechanics of how to fly maneuvers, landings, etc.

When you sign up with an instructor, you will probably be encouraged to purchase the Jeppesen Private Pilot manual, as part of a private pilot "kit". Jepp does a great job of putting all the material together in a digestable format.

I can echo what a previous poster wrote about learning the private stuff well; a lot of repeat for the single engine commercial, and I find myself reviewing all of the private stuff about 10x for the flight instructor rating.

Good luck!

PA

Latest resources

Back