• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First CRJ-1000 delivered

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Those were shorter, fatter, and better paying.

Louder too, and didn't have an FMS. Empty Nipple kids would be lost....:cool:

Not to mention that FD-109 flight director would most likely kill if you used it. So raw data skills were mandatory.

If they stretch that thing any further, all you are going to have to do is push back from the gate and you'll be at your destination.

How that thing manages not to sag in the middle is beyond me.

What about the stretch 757? That thing seems to defy the laws of physics during taxi too.

CRT's

I find it odd that we can't save money, weight, and health by using LCD screens now...

You wanna know the REALLY sad part, other than a factory-new airplane in 2010 has an avionics system 20+ years and two generations old when the avionics maker has had an LCD system that is 90%+ identical for a decade now?

Collins offers a PL4 -> PL21 upgrade that pretty much just exchanges the CRTs for LCD screens...that uses the same wiring, FMS, FCP, etc. You could also have electronic Jepp charts on the MFDs, and XM datalink weather!

But no, not yours....

^^^Wow....I never knew about that!

I remember hearing somewhere that each CRT cost something like $28,000. Funny, because you could buy an LCD monitor that won't give you cancer, uses less energy, brighter (for daytime), and is probably more reliable for <$500 at Best Buy. Too bad the FAA would find a way to add $27,500 to make no changes whatsoever to it, just put their stamp on it. I'm gonna stop typing before I get mad haha.

What a piece of sh&t. It's just a POS RJ only twice as long and more cramped. How many people does that POS have to throw off if you need an alternate.

You wanna know the REALLY sad part, other than a factory-new airplane in 2010 has an avionics system 20+ years and two generations old when the avionics maker has had an LCD system that is 90%+ identical for a decade now?

Collins offers a PL4 -> PL21 upgrade that pretty much just exchanges the CRTs for LCD screens...that uses the same wiring, FMS, FCP, etc. You could also have electronic Jepp charts on the MFDs, and XM datalink weather!

But no, not yours....

It's coming in a couple of years, but then the airlines have to deal with two different configurations and extra training/new simulators.

Latest resources

Back