First Class-Under 40

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gear_guy

Since the first class medical has now been extended to 12 months for those under 40, I have a question. The company I work for travels Internationally. They have decided to allow the extension for me. But I have been told that some countries will not accept this extension. Is this true? I am not PIC but type rated. It is all part 91. Has anybody else heard this?

I wanted to reask this question. Does anyone know of any problems associated with using my first class medical after the first 6 months? It will still be a first class (since I am under 40) but will the other countries agree? I am hearing that this may be a problem.

okay for those who care...just got off the phone with the FAA medical director and have confirmation that the 1st class is good in any ICAO country for 12 months if you are under 40. I then got written confirmation from the Chief Medical Examiner for ICAO of the same thing. Basically, the US was just conforming to ICAO standards. To do this, the medical had to be extended. This is good news for me!!!:) in the email they referenced the specific ICAO regs that apply. This link from the NBAA should cover it.

http://www.nbaa.org/admin/personnel/medical/medical-certificates.phphttp://www.nbaa.org/admin/personnel/medical/

Last edited:
Gear guy:

I have been going through IS-BAO training for my company since the beginning of this year, and did learn that under ICAO, the 1st Class is good for 12 months to the day, instead of to the end of the month. (e.g. - the date on your medical is 6/3/09, then it expires on 6/3/10, under the ICAO regulations).
I am in the same boat as you, but my company wants it done every 6 months, regardless.

Yes that is true. 12 months to the day. Thanks for pointing that out. I hate that you have to get one every 6 months anyway.

Latest resources

Back