• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

finishing degree while junior FO?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I took extra classes and graduated a year early, so I could start early at the regionals.

Just my personal feelings, but I wish I would have stayed that last year. Turns out that year early turned into a furlough and a restart at a different regional anyways. I had done my homework and at the time it was the regional to go to (or whatever). Hiring 300 that summer, ect.

To each his own as they say.

Take your shot. At this point, in my opinion, you are so close to finishing up that you might as well follow-through with the aviation degree rather than going through the hassle of a transfer, change of major, moving, etc...

There are numerous individuals out there that are now getting hired at regionals in their teens. It sets them up quite nicely to upgrade on their 23rd birthday, perhaps even in an RJ, the way those airlines are hiring now, and that, my friend, is a big edge.

Go to the regional. I went straight into flying out of HS and have been working on the degree on the side. I have no regrets whatsoever. I'm in my mid 20s and should have the degree finished before the end of '07. By then, I'll have 5,000TT, nearly 2000 jet/121 PIC, and several of the legacies will be hiring. The guys my age that went to Riddle or another college before flying have only been at a regional for about a year or so after doing a little flight instructing after college. It'll be years before they'll be competitive for any career airline.

Go to the regional. I went straight into flying out of HS and have been working on the degree on the side. I have no regrets whatsoever. I'm in my mid 20s and should have the degree finished before the end of '07. By then, I'll have 5,000TT, nearly 2000 jet/121 PIC, and several of the legacies will be hiring. The guys my age that went to Riddle or another college before flying have only been at a regional for about a year or so after doing a little flight instructing after college. It'll be years before they'll be competitive for any career airline.
I agree, I did the same thing. I should have my degree finished up next year, while on reserve I had alot of down time to work on my courses, and also on long over nights instead of going out and getting drunk and partying I did school work.

Looks like some pilots have figured out the big picture, if you want to be a pilot you fly airplanes. The degree is unimportant as long as you have one from an accredited institution is any subject. Do the degree part time while flying full time will put you ahead of the 4 yr full time student when it comes to advancing your career.

Go for it, as long as you're not afraid of some hard work and long days. I had my traditional A.S. at 20, Regional FO at 21, Regional CA at 23, B.S. completed by 24. All told I paid $6000 for my A.S. at a state school, and another $7000 for the B.S. at Riddle. Not a bad deal at all, just had to suffer at home with school work on my "off" days.

Thanks to everyone who responded...I feel pretty much the same way. School was a blast at first, but after a few years of going after dumb girls that play the same stupid games, and drinking crappy beer, and going to lectures that I'm indifferent to, I feel ready to move on. I'm happiest at the airport and/or flying, and after a few summers of instructing non-stop I was able to get my Total and ME times up, I feel I'm now just spinning my wheels stuck in school instructing part-time.

Does anyone recomend an Online program that tends to be more catered to a working regional pilot and that would be respected by the Majors/Legacies later on? Thanks again

Latest resources

Back