• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Saabslime

Dysfunctional family
AmWest enjoys robust March
By John Yantis, Tribune
America West Airlines is enjoying its best March, and the Tempe carrier anticipates it will have a surprisingly better second quarter despite higher fuel costs, CEO Doug Parker said Wednesday at a transportation conference in New York.

It was bullish day for the the East Valley’s two commercial air carriers as east Phoenix-based Mesa Air calmed investor fears at the conference by saying it can weather the storm should its second-largest partner, US Airways, shut down.

Thanks is part to a record-breaking day Sunday, America West CEO Doug Parker said the airline’s momentum this month will help shrug off a rough year in 2004.

"When all of March revenues are in, March will the highest RASM month in the history of America West Airlines, which we’re reasonably sure you’re not going to hear from anybody else," Parker told an audience of investors at the annual Goldman Sachs Transportation Conference. "The prior record was June of 2000, so the peak of the peak of the airline business."

RASM is the industry term for revenue per available seat per mile flown. Many airlines refer to it as unit revenue. The figure represents how much a carrier made spread across all the seats that were available.

Parker said full planes and decent yields on fares in March will result in a higher year-over-year RASM that is "comfortably into the double digits."

"The revenue environment is much, much stronger for us and we feel very good about that," he said.

Parker said April and May revenue did not appear as strong as March, but he still expects "solid single digits" compared to last year during the same time.

Thanks in part to falling oil prices, America West stock was up nearly 5 percent on the news Wednesday to $5.03 a share on the New York Stock Exchange. Parker said the biggest driver for increasing revenue was to skip the fare sales of many of his competitors.

"We decided a number of months ago that the industry was pricing the peaks well below where they should be priced," he said. "It’s a big risk in our business, but it was our view that we were headed into a peak period and it didn’t make sense to sell peak inventory at those fare levels."

At the same conference, Mesa Air Group’s chief financial officer Peter Murnane said the company has contingency plans should US Airways, in the midst of its second bankruptcy, liquidate. One scenario might involve investing in the airline to keep it afloat.

"We have said for quite some time now said that we would do whatever we could to be helpful to US Airways," Murnane said. "Clearly that is something we would consider under the right framework."

Mesa flies 73 regional jets and turboprops for US Air Express. About 35 percent of Mesa’s revenue come from US Air. Only America West is a larger partner.

Mesa has about $180 million in fixed costs associated with US Airways, Murnane said, but the number could be halved with deferrals on aircraft rent, something that he said financiers appear willing to do. In the event of a shutdown, Murnane said Mesa could redeploy the aircraft by using them to fly for existing or new partners.

Contact John Yantis by email, or phone (480) 898-2345
advertisement

Glad to hear

I'm glad to hear a little positive news. I love the flying and all the captains I've had have been great. It sure beats being a regional chief pilot. Flying a desk can make you appreciate flying the line. Hopefully furloughs are not in the future.

As a side note, all interviews for April were CX. Those CX will likely receive an interview around the end of summer.

The lady at HR seemed very sincere and told me the number of new hires needed was less than expected. They also do not want a large pool of applicants waiting for a class date.

Bummer, but like I said before they seemed very honest and sincere.

Maybe I'm just cynical...

Hmmm, last few months, the execs are all "We are doomed", "BK 16 months away", "Somethings gotta give", etc... Stock goes down.

A butt-load of options are awarded to the Tempe upper-floors.

Now "Record RASM!!!". Stock goes UP.

They didn't know about this before now? No forecasting?

oldxfr8dog said:
Hmmm, last few months, the execs are all "We are doomed", "BK 16 months away", "Somethings gotta give", etc... Stock goes down.

Just another one of those things that make you go "Hmmmmm...?!" ;)
Andy

Interviews

It's to bad they cancelled the interviews. Not surprising though that they would be concerned about putting people on hold in a pool. I was impressed that I only had to wait about 30 seconds after my panel interview for an answer. A previous co-worker waited 2 mo. after an interview at another airline to be told he didn't get the job. Not cool.

oldxfr8dog said:

Stock options aren't something that are worth much in the short term. AWA's stock has been quite unimpressive this year. I would imagine that a jump from $4.50 to $5.08 wasn't what the board had in mind in granting these options. IMO, they want long term stock growth and a good way to do this is to give incentive to those that run the company.

I'm not sure why the employees of AWA are so concerned about these options. They are only worth something if the company grows and is profitable. If the company goes BK or the stock stays where it is, they are of little value.

I would rather them have options that reward performance than golden parachutes that give them money regardless.

BID said:
As a side note, all interviews for April were CX. Those CX will likely receive an interview around the end of summer.

The lady at HR seemed very sincere and told me the number of new hires needed was less than expected. They also do not want a large pool of applicants waiting for a class date.

Bummer, but like I said before they seemed very honest and sincere.

Bummer. But don't worry, your time will come!

captainjack said:
Stock options aren't something that are worth much in the short term. AWA's stock has been quite unimpressive this year. I would imagine that a jump from $4.50 to $5.08 wasn't what the board had in mind in granting these options. IMO, they want long term stock growth and a good way to do this is to give incentive to those that run the company.

I'm not sure why the employees of AWA are so concerned about these options. They are only worth something if the company grows and is profitable. If the company goes BK or the stock stays where it is, they are of little value.

I would rather them have options that reward performance than golden parachutes that give them money regardless.

I can't speak for the upper floor but I can tell you this, "the employees" do not want stock options or at least "the employees" from BK and prior deffinitely do not want any more stock options, been there done that, got the t-shirt right after thumbs up rally.

Latest resources

Back