Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Better late than never

Hey XNav,

That wasn't a TV dinner, it was hot pizza.....but the coffee was Starbucks! The image brought back some sweet memories--thanks.

To be honest, I don't keep a picture of myself on the fridge. Fighter pilots rock, but my wife digs me anyway.

For the original poster: If you have no idea what you want, you will probably figure it out after your first few months at UPT. If you love the intensity and want more of it, fly a fighter. If you would rather kick back and enjoy the scenery on a cross-country, go airlift. If you want to takeoff and enter holding until it's time to land, try tankers ---- just kidding (couldn't resist);)

It's all good. Thank God for the choice.

Purple

While a the eyes of a lot of heavy drivers are on this thread... Does anybody know if there are going to be any ANG B-1 positions available after the proposed contraction of the fleet or will it be only regular AF? Looking into Heavy ANG upt spots for
the Herc at the moment. Got passed over for an A-10 slot (first try at the interview process) but I have good scores on my tests and just want to fly. Any suggestions? Even looking into the Corps. though that would be an active duty committment.

B-1

Would anybody know what would happen to current B-1 ANG pilots or pilots in the training pipeline if the proposed consolidation does happen with the GA and KS units? Applying to GA unit... Thanx

No more afterburner....

o2deprived,
The GaANG pipeline guys would probably have their choice of staying or leaving the unit. I had a buddy in flight school who was with a F-16 Guard unit (Iowa I think) and midway through school he got the word they were switching to KC-135's. They told him they completely understood if he wanted to go somewhere else so I assume GA would be the same way. Anyway...the deal at Warner Robins is that they are officially going to J-Stars. They start the transition in April and should be complete by September. The thinking was that all the heavy electronics in the back of the J-Star would keep all those B-1 maintanance folks employed. Needless to say the pilots aren't too happy about it. If you like eight hours of droning, it's probably a good time to get in as I know they'll be looking for pilots. Good Luck!

Naval Aviation study material

Here are some passages from USN avaiation study material I thought some of the undecided might like to see:

The only three things a wingman should say are:
1.) Yes, SIR!
2.) Lead, you're on fire!
3.) I'll take the fat chick.

In a multi-piloted aircraft, there are only three things the co-pilot should say:
1.) Nice landing, sir.
2.) I'll buy the first round.
3.) I'll take the fat chick.

FLY NAVY

Back to your original question...

If you don't know that you want to fly fighters the instant you see one, there's a good chance you won't enjoy them.

But there's always the exception. Give some consideration to joining the "Boy Racer" crowd--we run with scissors, take three times the recommended dosage, and tear "do not remove under penalty of law" tags off of pillows. We also talk too loud, are entirely self-centered and know no strangers. It's like being in junior high again except that we don't have to lie about the chicks (well, most of the time).

I've loved every minute of it--20+ years.

S/F,
Furloboy

Fx vs. Cx

I guess I'll throw in a little blurb:

I don't agree that you'll figure it out in UPT. Because aside from the fact that the T-38 is a swept wing, supersonic jet that you'll pull G's in and fly formation, that's where the similarities stop. Those basics are exactly that-basics.

The things you do in a fighter (Basic Fighter Maneuvers, Air Combat Maneuvers, Air Combat Tactics, Basic Surface Attack, and Surface Attack Tactics) you won't even get a sniff of until you graduate UPT.

I'll be honest, although most guys will tell you UPT was the greatest time of their lives, I personally though it sucked. But after UPT I had a blast. Flying the F-16 is without a doubt the most fun I've ever had (with pants on). However, caveat with what was said above regarding actual time in jet is true. I think the average time per year in a fighter is around 200 hrs. There's a lot of preparation that goes into a mission. But the 200 hours is all busy work. There's very rarely a dull moment.

If you even think for a little bit that you want it, you should go for it.

Remember one thing-there's only one chance in your lifetime to fly fighters. You can always fly airliners.

Oh, and one other thing, flying a low level in a B-1 with bombs still does not even come close to making it a fighter.

Airliners?

I don't agree with the notion that flying USAF heavies is the same as flying an airliner. No civilian-trained airline pilot that I know of ever flew a four-engined turboprop 300 feet off the ground in a 4 ship formation and precisely dropping their cargo on a DZ, at night with goggles. Nor do any of them land a 150,000 lb airplane on a 3,000 foot dirt airstrip with a 4-5 degree glidepath at night either.

Unless you fly some of the more boring aircraft (E-3, E-8, EC-130, C-5), you'll do some interesting stuff regardless of whether you're a heavy, bomber or fighter pilot. Pick your own destiny.

A heavy is a heavy

Unless you fly some of the more boring aircraft (E-3, E-8, EC-130, C-5),

I think these are all heavies. I can't think of one fighter that's even remotely considered boring.

No civilian-trained airline pilot that I know of ever flew a four-engined turboprop 300 feet off the ground in a 4 ship formation and precisely dropping their cargo on a DZ, at night with goggles.

And no "four-engined turbo prop pilot" that flies in gogs at three hundred feet in a four ship gets to smell the perfume of a hot blonde serving him a hot meal.

By the way, I know of several civilian pilots to this day that fly one, two, and four engine piston and turboprop airplanes on 1000 foot dirt, and ice strips, as well as ramps. We're talking 50 knots straight across. And, oh by the way, this approach is done routinely by loran since there are no VOR's any where for hundreds of miles. You occassionally get the token NDB, though.
And, if I remember correctly, Alaska Airlines flies B737's onto gravel strips every day, and I'm quite sure they're pretty short.

Next arguement.

There are two kinds of airplanes, fighters and targets.

Latest resources

Back