FFDO Training: Reloader?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skyrider

Trying to schedule a week for next month and heard it's a good idea to bring one along to make things easier. Is this really the case? If so, is there a particular type i.e. brand, caliber, etc to seek out?

Also, any suggestions on what else to bring along ( besides drinking money...) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I think they'll take it away or at least request you don't use. Besides, your nickname would be "Sally" for the rest of the week. Not much time for beer either. Carry water to the range. They'll supply you with everything you need.

Thanks for taking your personal time and expense to do this. Good luck and have fun!

SB

I don't think they allow you to use one.

You really don't need it anyway. I loaded the old-fashioned way the whole time, and never had a raw thumb. If you use the proper technique, touching the bullet only and not the magazine feed lips, you'll be fine.

Don't bring a lot of clothing. They issue you everything you need except boots, underwear and socks.

Have fun!

How many rounds do you go through during the training? I've been to training events where we would go through 500 rounds of handgun ammo a day, for 5-6 days...and never had a problem.

FracCapt said:
How many rounds do you go through during the training? I've been to training events where we would go through 500 rounds of handgun ammo a day, for 5-6 days...and never had a problem.
My wife assists me in loading a gym bag full of 20, 25, 32 and 40 round UZI magazines and we go through 1,000 rounds in a one and half to two hour shooting session. We do use small slip on mag loaders to push the rounds into the magazines...but for a split tail, she does one heck of a job. If she can show a couple of wet behind the ears jump pilots how to do the same, you guys should have no problem.

I'd worry more about the physical and psychological part of the course, than the mag loading part.

No, I'm not an FFDO...but I do own an HK USP .40 Cal, I have been certified in law enforcement and I did spend the night in a holiday inn express last night.

FN FAL, are you using that mag loader from Vector? If so, it is a good 'un. You can zip 16 rounds in with one finger swoop.

I like using 25 rd mags for the Uzi, because they are cheap and plentiful. Sellier and Bellot 9mm boxes come divided into 2 compartments of 25 ea. I'll take a compartment, dump it on the carpet, know there's 25 there to fill up one mag. It seems to simplify things, plus S&B is cheap and effective.

Swede said:
FN FAL, are you using that mag loader from Vector? If so, it is a good 'un. You can zip 16 rounds in with one finger swoop.

I like using 25 rd mags for the Uzi, because they are cheap and plentiful. Sellier and Bellot 9mm boxes come divided into 2 compartments of 25 ea. I'll take a compartment, dump it on the carpet, know there's 25 there to fill up one mag. It seems to simplify things, plus S&B is cheap and effective.
No...we're still in the stone age. We're using those little sheet metal "one at a time" thumbusters that came with some new magazines I ordered on-line a year ago.

Yea, ammoman or one of the others has 25 rounders with the IMI star for 11.00 bucks. You can't beat that.

I picked up some of the 40 rounders that were intended for some other gun...they work well, but I hear what you are saying about 25 rounders. Easy to load, last long time, work real good.

I don't know if the FFDO program guys are allowed to bring mag loaders, but you'd think for the sanity of saving time, they wouldn't be having guys bust their thumbs loading mags.

cheap 9mm

The cheapest 9mm I've found is at Walmart. Winchester makes a loose pack of 50 rounds especially for them and they sell it for under $11. I've put a good couple thousand rounds of it through my XD-9 and have never had a single malfunction with it. It's not too dirty either. If Uzi's don't require special 9mm rounds with harder primers, you might want to check it out.

Milehigh

milehigh6080 said:
The cheapest 9mm I've found is at Walmart. Winchester makes a loose pack of 50 rounds especially for them and they sell it for under $11. I've put a good couple thousand rounds of it through my XD-9 and have never had a single malfunction with it. It's not too dirty either. If Uzi's don't require special 9mm rounds with harder primers, you might want to check it out.

Milehigh
Hi milehigh6080, you may be able to get Wolf ammo for $5.00 a box for 50 rounds.

It is copper washed soft steel case ammo with some sort of laquer coating on it. I have used about 2,000 rounds through full auto guns with no ill effects. No misfires and no problems with fouling. I have about 3,000 rounds through the two guns total (various types of ammo) and have yet to clean them...no jams or other problems even with the laquer coating, which is obviously building up on the side of the bolts.

You can get 9mm wolf at any gander mountain for 4.99 a box not including taxes, or you can order it from any of these guys here on line.

I will be trying some of the wolf in the 40 cal usp soon, just to see how I like it, but I have a feeling I would rather stick with the jewish ammo I have on stock now.

That Sellier and Bellot ammo swede is talking about is probably really reasonably priced as well, I just haven't gotten around to using it yet. I think the guys are saying this Barnault ammo is good as well.

Even at 130 bucks shipped, most of the ammo that you can buy in case lots of 1,000 are pretty resonable. That's 6.50 a box.

I find that Gander Mountain is handy for when I don't want to wait...so that's why I have shot so much of the wolf. Plus, where are you going to find ammo cheaper than 4.75 a box of 50? (on one of the links its that cheap...but check your shipping prices, if shipping is included you'll never beat that price unless you steal it!)

The only thing is the steel cases aren't reloadable...

here are the links to the on-line ammo places, Coles-distributing is pretty good and fast...these others sound reputable as well...

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/pricelist_ammo4.htm#9mm

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/

http://www.ammoman.com/

http://www.coledistributing.com/

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back