• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FFDO HK offer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would someone buy a standard USP and convert it for single action only?

The HK USP can be configured to a number of different variants with respect to trigger, action and lockwork. Variation 1 and 2 permit carriage of the weapon in a single action configuration, but also permit a double action pull. Variation 1 permits use of the safety lever for decocking, enabling safety in single and double action, or decocking after any shot.

In any event, these variants are not single action only, and may be carried double action or single action.

The USP comes in double-action-only in standard full trigger pull, or the LEM trigger modification.

It does not, however, have a single-action-only variation. It can be carried in a "cocked and locked" mode, but is not available in only single action.

However...addressing the question as to why someone might prefer single action only...a number of shooters, myself included, find a single action only pistol to be an excellent choice. I'm a long time 1911 shooter myself...and while my personal daily choice is a Sig P239 with either a HKP2000SK or G27 backup in an ankle holster, I still hold a soft spot and a strong preference for a single action pistol.

I have an HK USPC in .45 with a V1 trigger, capable of single action carry, which is a double action-single action configuration, manual safety, and decocker. Even though it's capable of single action carry, I don't operate it that way, and it gets carried hammer down on a live round, for a first double action pull. My P2000SK, conversely is hammer down on a chambered round, with an LEM trigger, and as a result, no manual safety. No issues either way...both comfortable means of carry. I'm more than happy to carry a 1911 in "condition one," cocked and locked, and I do.

To each his own. The USP can be carried either way in Variant 1...but it's still not a single action only handgun, even if carried in a condition 1, cocked and locked, mode.

Just curious though. Why would someone buy a standard USP and convert it for single action only? It can already be carried cocked and locked or hammer-down for double action.

When I purchased mine it was some time ago, around the mid-nineties if I remember right. At that time there was an option to convert to SAO/V2 (though I think avbug is correct, the double-action was available if the gun was manually de-cocked)-the thumb safety was also the decocking lever and all the modification really did was eliminate the de-cocking function. I didn't keep the gun very long but was extremely impressed with the reliability and its completely uncaring attitude with regard to ammuntion brands.

The reason I did it was I have larger hands and at the time I preferred to shoot the USP like I did my Colt, with my thumb resting on the thumb safety. I didn't like the lever also acting as the de-cocking mechanism.

I've got to agree though, the best safety is training-for those people looking to buy a handgun go to your local range and get some one-on-one instruction, not just on how to shoot but on handling. It is more than worth the cost.

I'm interested in a hand gun for home protection and general recreation. I'm a little concerned that the Pilot HK doesn't have a safety since it will be handled by my fiance (and myself for that matter).

What are the benefits of not having a safety? I've always been in the habit of setting the safety before handing over any weapon, is there an equally safe way to handle a gun without a safety? Is there something I'm missing? Can someone recommend a good gun for my purposes?

Cheers!

It hasn't been recommended yet, but look at the Smith & Wesson m&p series, as well. I bought the m&p40 compact, and have loved every minute of shooting it. One the best and, IMO, most underrated features of the m&p is the interchangable backing grips, which can accomodate hands of different sizes. I looked at the Glock 27, the H&K USP Compact .40, and the Taurus 24/7 series, and after holding the m&p at a gun show was sold on it. The rest are all good weapons, but I believe that one of the most important things is how the gun feels in your hand.

Depending on your experience with gun ownership, I'd recommend shooting a variety of manufacturers guns in a variety of caliber's to figure out what feels right to you. Most ranges will rent a variety of guns and will help answer that question. If you, and/or your fiance, have limited experience with firearms in general, a smaller caliber revolver may be a better bet. I'm currently looking for a good deal on a Taurus 941 revolver for just this reason. It's only a .22 Magnum, but is a much easier gun for my lady to handle and still will let her defend the house if I'm not around to use my m&p.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Aceshigh

I have a P229 in .40SW, but my primary carry is a G19 because its lighter and cheaper to become proficient with.

I subscribe to the avbug school of firearms...the best weapon and best caliber for personal defense is the one you can shoot most reliabiliy and accurately. SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT.

As far as weapons safeties go...anybody remember Eric Bana's Delta Force operator in the movie "Black Hawk Down"? Officer comes up to him in the mess hall and tells him he needs to have his M4 safety on, and he raises his index finger and says "this is my safety." :D

Squirt-gun!

Home defense, Mossberg 12GA pump, 00buck, really all you could need!
PBR
P.S. Anyone who decides to engage someone who just pumped one into the chamber, is gonna need a dose of Pb, express or 3 anyway!

I have to throw my two cents out to the shorty pump shotgun also. DON'T GO WITH BUCKSHOT!!! Here's where you want an express/magnum load with 7 1/2 birdshot. Less worries about killing your neighbor or loved ones in other parts of the dwelling and just think of the mess trying to "detox" anyone who survives.

I have to throw my two cents out to the shorty pump shotgun also. DON'T GO WITH BUCKSHOT!!! Here's where you want an express/magnum load with 7 1/2 birdshot. Less worries about killing your neighbor or loved ones in other parts of the dwelling and just think of the mess trying to "detox" anyone who survives.

This is absolute non-sense. Sorry, but birdshot will get people killed.

The idea behind any gun is to incapicitate the opponent as quickly as possible. Birdshot lacks the energy and penetration for any defensive round.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Unless you're being attacked by birds...birdshot isn't the way to go.

ETA: If you're wife can't handle a shotgun or pistol, a pistol caliber carbine is probably a better fit.

Latest resources

Back