Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
1. Does the USAFA Admissions Board even care if you're working on a PPC since it's not a school-related activity?

2. I got a 29 on my ACT (33 English, 29 Math, 32 Reading, and 23 Science Reasoning). The Science Reasoning score has me a little worried because I read on www.academyadmissions.com that any person with a Math/Science Reasoning score below 25 will normally not be considered competetive for an appointment. Is the 23 on SR reason enough to take the ACT again after studying more?

3. My GPA is 3.65. Is that fairly competetive?

4. I haven't been involved in a whole lot of sports. Played a little football in 9th grade. Church basketball. I don't know if paintball counts as a sport. (I'm in the "Paintball Club" at my HS) Is this going to be a detriment to my application?

5. I sent off for the Pre-Candidate Questionairre. When does the application process start? I'm a junior in HS.

Thanks!

Mogus,

1. I assume you mean PPL. I don't think they really care -- the USAF plans on teaching you to fly. List it if asked, but otherwise don't make a big deal. I had about 15 hours when I applied, and don't think it meant a thing.

2. You're below what they listed as a competative score -- OF COURSE you retake. Realize that average is just that -- average. 1/2 the guys with an average score won't get in.

3. It would have been back in '84. A lot depends on other factors: are you taking calculus, physics, biology, and a foreign language, or shop, choir and PE? Also, does your HS add a quaility point for honors courses (ie a B in honors English still gets you a 4.0)? Bottom line, if you're in the top 20% of the college prep students in your class then you should be okay.

4. Join the track team, tennis, or something else for the spring season right now. Do a swim team or something over the summer. Play something next fall. You need to make up some ground quickly. Used to be that sports participation counted big, lettering counted bigger, and being a team captain gave mucho points. Don't think the paintball team counts.

5. You should get something back before the end of the school year to tell you how you rack-and-stack for admission. Your official application process starts next fall. If you haven't already fired off letters to your congressman and senators letting them know your intentions, you're already behind. They should write you back to let you know when they officially start accepting applications for nominations.

Good luck in the hunt -- it's a he11 of a 4 years. Glad I did it, but wouldn't do it again if it won me the lottery.

Z

I, on the other hand, would go back to AFROTC at Auburn University in a heartbeat!:cool: I think a fat, balding, getting older than I care to admit fighter pilot might have a lot harder time wooing co-eds (especially with my wife and 3 kids tagging along!) but hey...you gotta dream!

Seriously...AFA is a really unique and awesome opportunity. However, a good AFROTC scholarship puts gets you the same Lt Bars, the same UPT program, and the chance to be in more mainstream environment. There are tons of pros and cons to either system...but man...I had a BALL in college and still got to fly jets after graduation. Throw in a app for some AFROTC scholarships just in case your AFA dreams don't work out. You may be the happiest "non select" in the world if you are at a large school, enjoying the college atmosphere, and still getting to serve your country after your graduate.

If I were you...I'd also consider doing some volunteer work or a part time job to show the "well rounded" side of your personality. And...this is honest feedback not a slam...don't mention paintball, dungeons and dragons, or the society for the creative anachronism. You may be the coolest guy in the world, but in my experience many of the folks active in those endevours didn't fit the "mold" of the typical AFA/AFROTC pilot slot type. Of course there are tons of exceptions...but the guys I crossed paths with typically were jocks, or had jobs, or were class presidents, etc. Zulu mentioned the OTS grad with a degree in classical guitar...there are those types too...but right or wrong
they are typically the exception and not the rule.

Jstock just went through all this...send him a PM if you have questions.

Yeah, I'm here now. It's definitely not like any other college you'll ever go to, but it's the place to be. I got into Annapolis, AFROTC, and NROTC, and I don't regret giving those up to come here. Just make sure you come for the right reasons, or else you'll be out of here in no time.

1. Not really an issue. I got mine before I came here. I don't know that it helped me get in, but it's given me some flying opportunities here.

2. Definitely retake it. They'll look at your highest score. Also, try the SAT. I personally did better on the ACT, but the two tests are different, so you might have better luck with the SAT.

3. Sounds decent to me.

4. Get involved in something. It'll really help your chances. They are big on the "whole person" concept.

5. You should get the official application sometime this summer. Try and contact your Academy Liason Officer (ALO). They should be able to help you out. Eventually you'll have a medical exam (I did mine the summer between junior and senior year), a physical aptitude test, and you'll need a nomination from your senator, congressman, the vice president, or the president (available if your parents were in the military). They all have different applications.

Good luck.

AFROTC

Albie is right,
I am currently in AFROTC and having a blast. I just got back from a Hockey game that I worked at for my detachment before, and got to enjoy the game for free afterwards. Univeristy of Nebraska Kicked Ohio States butt 2 days in a row.
There are plenty of ways to get involved with the AFROTC while going through, but they also have some sort of pay off like the hockey game.

Feel free to pm me with any questions,

Jeff

USAFA

I too go to USAFA. I had to take a different route than most. Unlike most who go here my grades in High School sucked...I graduated with a 3.21 GPA; however, I was in all Honors courses and had math courses through Calculus II. My problem was that I wanted to fly planes more than go to school. As a result of this the academy did not accept me right away, I had to go to Prep School. I did earn a Falcon Foundation scholarship which paid 3k towards the tuition of the prep school of my choice. I got my SAT score up to 1310 (710 Math, 600 Verbal) after taking it 10 or 11 times. This was enough to get me in!
In High School I was on the swim team for 2 years and lettered both times, I was also on the soccer team for a year. My last junior and senior year was an all out assault on the flying program. By the time I graduated I had my license through commercial - multi - instrument and about 700 hours in the log book.
I had a year away from the academy between my freshman and sophomore year for personal reasons. During that time, I tried to make things happen in the civilian world, but 9/11 thwarted that (I was there in person and saw it all go down), and now I realize that I am in the best place I could be right now. I will now graduate in 2005.
I am not involved in any flying programs here at the Academy and haven't flown a plane since June of 2002...I really miss it, but I know I will get lots of flying when I graduate.

If you have any questions about this place feel free to PM me and I will do the best I can to answer them for you.

Hi Mogus! It's great to hear that you have a goal such as the USAFA in mind. I very recently receieved my Letter of assurance to the academy, so hopefully I will be able to help you out.

1) First of all, having a PPl will definitely look good. I really don't know how strongly the admissions panel will weigh it, but it definitely can't hurt. I too am working on my PPL. If anything, getting your license early will most likely help you excel in airmanship classes at the academy, and perhaps will afford you the opportunity to be a IP or be on the "flying team." But in short, yes the license can't hurt you. As a matter of fact, it even asks on the application if you do have a pilot's license. Also, having it will show your interest in aviation, and from what I hear right now, the Air Force needs pilots.

2) You have a good ACT score, but definitely take it again. Even if you get it to a score you are satisfied with, still take it. I had to take like 10 different tests (6 SATs, and 4 ACTs), although I did much better on the SAT. The standardized tests are one of the most heavily weighted components of your application (so I hear), but they do definitely look at the "whole person." Just to let you know, I was accepted with just a little above average SAT score.

3) Hmmm, I really don't know what a 3.65 equates to. Here in Texas we use the 100 point scale, so I can't really tell you much. ( I was accepted with a 96.5 GPA if that helps). Very very important though, make sure that you are taking the hardest possible curriculum offered at your school. Make sure that you are taking all AP/ honors classes. From what I hear, this is the component the board weighs most. Also, try to keep your class rank in the top 10%.

4) First of all, get involved! Hate to break it to ya, but on the application, they only ask for the activities that you've done from the 10th grade and up. Remember that 85% of the typical entering class has a varsity letter award, and I think 90+% has been involved in a varsity sport; definitely something to think about. In reference to your paintball and church activites, put them down on your application, everything helps.

5) Good job getting started early. Did you apply for summer seminar by any chance? But anyhow, it won't be a while till you get your "Candidate pack." Expect an "Instructions to Precandidates" in April. I didn't actually receive my "candidate pack" till October, so you still have a lot of time. Find out about nominations, remember you can't get in without a nomination. I would write to your sources (i.e. congressman, and senators) this summer. Practice for the PAE, remember, the scores count towards your appointment. Also, if you have not done so, get in touch with your admissions liason officer (ALO).

Also, just wanted to add 1 thing. Indeed the selection panel uses the "whole person" method of selecting candidates, but remember 1 thing. 60% of your "admissions score" comes from your academics (SAT/ACT, GPA, class rank, types of classes, etc.), 20% comes from extracurricular activities, and 20% comes from PAE, essays, and recommendation from your liason officer.

For right now, sit back and relax, and try to make yourself look as good as possible. Also, make sure you do something leadership oriented. You don't have to hold a class office to get in, just make sure you do some leadership oriented things. For example, I was involved in 5 different clubs, didn't hold officer positions, but was involved in many committees, and held many committee chairs.

Best of luck to you. If you have any questions E-mail me or IM me at "StreetbikerFZR." Good luck!

Leo Romero
El Paso, TX

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge." - USAFA

Mogus,

I just recently became an ALO, and although I am still learning much about the ALO field, I did just attend a meeting this past weekend where we were talking about entry requirements. The bottom line is this: the current crop of guys and gals trying to get into the Academy is one of the most competitive ever, with an average SAT score of 1400, and as I recall an average GPA of 3.70. One of the factors which will definitely help you out is whether or not you are pilot qualified (meaning medically fit to fly, NOT whether or not you have your pilots license). If you are not PQ, you need astronomical scores in order to get into the academy. Being PQ definitely helps a lot.

As far as any other questions you may have, I would seriously recommend you get in touch with the ALO for your school. Your high school guidance counselor should be able to get you in touch with him/her. Since you are a junior in high school, you definitely need to get the ball rolling on this, but you aren't completely out of time yet. Good luck to you!

Holy Cow!

Didn't realize this year's test scores were so high. I know last year's average was 1280. I guess I was admitted under a lucky star. Take care!

Leo Romero
El Paso, TX

I've been through the application process twice, both unsuccessful. I had my PPL and scores a little better than yours and lettered in track. I was involved in several clubs and the second time going through I had college experience. Unfortunately I was not accepted.

You are doing good by starting early, the application is long. Go ahead and contact your congressmen and request their application for a nomination, each one has a specific application. The good news is that the questions are basically the same, so you can use one essay on several applications.

Its also a good idea to have "leadership" experience. Try to get involved in Church or School or whatever groups in some sort of leadship position. Also, take the SAT and ACT several times, you'll most likely improve. I think that I was lacking in the leadership category, I was in a lot of clubs but wasn't really an officer in any.

Even if you do not get in they may offer a ROTC scholarship. Take that and apply to the Academy after a year of college. There's also OTS (which I'm going to in the Spring).

Looks like everyone has given you good advice, and from someone who didn't get in, good luck.

Latest resources

Back