• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx - more aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I couldn't care less about when I upgrade or how long I'm sitting sideways on the duece, as long as i'm flying a purple tail!! Now, who wants to recommended me????:D

Very good point!! I was looking at 9.5 years for upgrade if things don't change and now with 65...OUCH!!! I'll be close to 50 before the day hits and if I go early due to medical my payout will be minimized. They better keep growing beyond this Hawaii anouncement!!

Gentlemen,

Although I also have strong personal feelings concerning the Age 60 rule and how it affects everyone at FedEx, the real enemy here is the "Optimizer" (aka Sodomizer).

We (meaning the FedEx MEC and all FedEx pilots) have already ceded to the company that we don't care about day/night purity and/or deadhead purity when it comes to building the airline schedule.

Below is a quote of the text from the attachment to the FedEx MEC Chairman's email message to the pilots dated Jan 11, 2007.

"During the course of negotiations, we discussed the desire of the company to vary pairings and trip sequences with less emphasis on city purity and deadhead commonality in both pairing and line construction. Both parties acknowledged that the Company already has the ability, under the current SIG side letter, to institute change in this area.

While the existence and maintenance of pairing and flight line construction with features of city purity and deadhead commonality continues to be a desirable solution for some domestic pairings, the parties recognize that in the changing business environment, city purity and deadhead commonality should not be used to stop change or frustrate building lines within acceptable financial and operational parameters.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact either of us.

Captain Robert Chimenti
Chairman, FedEx ALPA MEC Negotiating Committee

Donald W. Maliniak
Vice President, Labor Relations, FedEx Express"

This concession in the contract has totally stripped day/night purity and deadhead purity from the bidpacks and given the company the efficiencies they were looking for. This is also one of the major reasons that the hiring has virtually ground to a halt.

As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us".

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Champ42272

Disputed Pairings

Flying disputed pairings hasn't helped either....we do some of this to ourseleves. Seems like guys are blowing off the SIG since we got a new contract. FWIW.

They were blowing the SIG off throughout the negotiations leading to the new contract. IMHO, not much has changed in the picking-up-disputed-pairings department.

City purity and DH commonality were great benefits...for SOME of the force senior enough to hold them. Huck says guys flying out of their hometown were like the "Yeti"....rumored to be out there but I've never seen one.

The fact is there are tons of guys who could never hold a hometown line or DDH close to home, so there aren't many guys junior who'd burn the negotiating capital to preserve a line they are pretty sure they'll never hold anyway. For instance--look at the top 30-40 guys in each seat on the boeing...and how long they've been there.

I'm not saying its wrong or right--just pointing out that going to the mat to keep TLH or DSM or another city "pure" means jack to about 3/4 of the guys on each seat. When you are stuck on PM out and backs or tour America lines after being on the jet 4, 5, or 6 years you don't really care that much that "Mr camped here for 12 years" gets his beloved line.

In fact, if "optimizing" spreads more DHs around, the commuter crowd might even benefit.

Again--I commute into MEM and fly local boy lines even though I don't live there. I cannot hold a day DH line on the 727 going into year 6.
The hard thing about complaining about schedules is since everyone wants something different, changes often benefit someone even though someone else is frustrated.

so what is the life expectancy of a Fed Ex pilot now days?

Trouble is these old farts don't have a life, they want to fly to 65 so they can die a month later. Maybe I shouldn't have called them farts...I think selfish bastards is more appropriate.

I hear working the back side of any job (clock) makes for a shorter life. Anyone have some hard numbers? I guess if someone is willing to risk thier life for penny's while in uniform, might as well do it for the big bucks at Fed Ex

Latest resources

Back