Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AdlerDriver

Can't even hold reserve!
Anyone have some gouge on what would happen if someone is awarded a new position on the MOAB and then goes on mil leave before starting training? Do you keep the bid and train on the new aircraft upon return from mil?

Also, if you go on ML prior to completing your probationary year, does that stop your clock until you get back? If it does stop the clock, would flying one trip a month keep it counting down?

Thanks

Not sure about the First part, But I remeber PD in New Hire saying that Voluntary ML for more than 30 days would be looked at on a case by case basis for prolonging probation. Involuntary would not extend probation. So Doing one trip a month would keep you going.

As to the first part, Pretty sure the USERRA wouls prevent you losing your bid, but there might be passover pay issues.

AdlerDriver said:
If it does stop the clock, would flying one trip a month keep it counting down?

I imagine flying one trip a month would keep the clock running, but coming from one who was previously activated, I can tell you FedEx won't let you fly with them while you are activated on military orders.

They took me off of the training letter since my activation touched my training date. When I came back another bid had closed and they gave me what I would have held if I was able to participate in the bid. I would have gone to class right away upon return if I had not changed seats due to the new bid.

BonesF15 said:
They took me off of the training letter since my activation touched my training date. When I came back another bid had closed and they gave me what I would have held if I was able to participate in the bid. I would have gone to class right away upon return if I had not changed seats due to the new bid.

Bones:
Was the seat award on your return based on a previous standing bid? If it was based on your SB then was there an opportunity to change the SB before you officially returned?
Bottom Liine - did you see the final bid percentages from the awards and then get to ammend your SB?

Thanks

IrishSkies said:
Bones:
Was the seat award on your return based on a previous standing bid? If it was based on your SB then was there an opportunity to change the SB before you officially returned?
Bottom Liine - did you see the final bid percentages from the awards and then get to ammend your SB?

Thanks

According to the contract is that if you are on a leave of absence and a bid award occurs during your time away, you are able to adjust your standing bid once you get back to hold any position you could have held on the standing bid. I know there is a specific amount of time you have to do this by, but not sure what it is offhand. Bottom line: Yes, you can change it after getting back. Your ACP should fill you in on the details, and you have to contact your ACP anyway when getting back. I hope this helps.

I've got personal experience here....
When you come off orders you will be able to train in whatever seat you could hold in the last bid. But you will remain on probation until you have completed one total year of active flying on the line. My date of hire was in 2002 and I am now in the right seat of the MD-11...and will be on probation until March.
On a side note, if you happen to wash out of the training for whatever seat you are trying to upgrade to, you will return to whatever seat you have successfully completed training for, where you will remain for at least two years.

Rock,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, nice to get first hand poop. What is the timeframe from return to FDX to training class, it looks like they have 30 days to get you in training once you "officially" return. If it does take a month to start training after your return date (and you are non current in your old seat) then do you get paid while awaiting training?

Thanks,
Irish

The time it takes to get you into a training class depends on when the classes are available. Typically, there is almost always a class available within a couple weeks of your return. If there isn't, they do have to pay you once your orders end. However, since it is in their interest to get some return on their money you can expect they won't be very eager to let you show up "at your convenience" for whatever training date best fits your schedule. You most likely will get a crew notification congratulating you for being placed in the first class for your seat that is available (even if they have to bump someone else to do it).

Latest resources

Back