FEDEX HKG Similar to Atlas STS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CCDiscoB

I was reading the thread in the Majors section and the first thing that came to mind was how similar FedEx's basing plan in HKG is to Atlas' STS operation. Now I'm sure that statement is too general, (I'm sure I'll be flamed for it) so feel free to correct my limited knowledge on this issue.
Atlas' new base became such an issue that the company required new hires to be stationed there. I see the exact same thing happening at FedEx. What wasn't mentioned in the other post was the assumption being made was that it will be a 3-4 year F/O being sent there. But in a couple years when new hires are ready to hit the line where will they be sent, to HKG on first year pay, nice. I'm certain STS scared many away from Atlas as will HKG from FedEx. I can imagine many guys reading what's been posted, planning on getting out/making the move when FedEx starts hiring again saying, "holy $hit, forget them," while 24 yo Johnny RJ pilot is rubbing his hands saying MD-11 here I come!
What other similarities are there?

The Atlas STN base was always commutable at the option of the crewmember. I think the HKG deal is not! The Atlas trips are long, 17 days, but the company now will buy you a ticket from home to work and back each month. Fedex is still a career airline but now you will have to pay your dues all over again if this gets through in this form.

Latest resources

Back