• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx chief pilot rant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think JL works hard and has to deal with the 10% of the crew force that is constantly screwing up all the time. I would bet it wears on you. For those of you who have not been around for long I think we are doing pretty good with JL. There have been some CP's in the past that have been pretty bad.

Past.....

Excuse me for my curiosity, but what the hell are you NIGHTRIDERS talking about? Dont worry, I will not tell anyone after you tell me.

JL is exactly right we need an up or out policy, the sole reason i dont fly m uch is because quality of life takes a long time to get at Fedex, because of folks staying put for so long once they achieve quality of life, maybe adjusting the lines to spread the wealth and quality of life would cause more movement?????????

Sorry, disagree. Unprofessional email all the way around and to all crewmembers, not just captains. Leadership is an important part of a CP job. Chastising the pilot group isn't it.

...and this is why we have a union. Imagine if a CP wanted to implement "his" vision of how training, bidding, etc should go. Can you imagine how we'd be whipsawed? Want up or out? Want more experience on certain seats? Negotiate it... Ranting on email was just therapy...it did nothing but alienate the 99% who are trying to do things right.

JL is exactly right we need an up or out policy, the sole reason i dont fly m uch is because quality of life takes a long time to get at Fedex, because of folks staying put for so long once they achieve quality of life, maybe adjusting the lines to spread the wealth and quality of life would cause more movement?????????

Sorry but I disagree. There should be senior lines and junior lines. When I was junior I did not expect to be off for the holidays or work the best trips. Now that I'm senior I expect those things. There is movement here, it is just slow and there is nothing wrong with that. You can expect great lines, but it might take you a long time to get them. You knew that going into a place like this. I for one would ferociously fight any attempt to negotiate an up or out policy or some kind of line adjustment that in any way affects quality of life. Line purity and double deadheads make this job doable. Being able to decide when (or if) you upgrade is priceless.

You misjudged the culture of the company you applied to. Your opinion is in the minority. But you are good Chief Pilot material, so don't let that stop you.

I'm almost certain you are relatively junior.

When you are senior I'm also sure you would complain about being pushed around. (After said up or out policy is in place)

I don't hear senior guys ANYWHERE complaining how they are getting a much better schedule and how they need to spread the wealth to the newbies 'cause it isn't fair.

Go Flex if you don't like to fly much.

Last edited:
Someone posted JL's letter on an internal IPA website ... which is where I read it. Since it's being discussed in public, here's my opinion without addressing specifics:

I found it refreshingly honest in a world of politically correct speech where we fear offending everyone. With the possible exception of a sentence or two, I agree with the guy and his in your face attitude. Don't think for a minute FedEx has cornered the market on the types of events, outcomes, appearances, etc... JL describes. We're getting paid to move the freight safely, on-time, and to make decisions and exercise sound, rational judgment with a professional bearing.

After reading his letter I have no uncertainty about what he expects from his crews and captains in particular. Actually, after reading it a second time, I think it's an awesome letter and wish it would be disseminated throughout our industry (after being company sanitized). I congratulate your CP for having the cajones to write that letter in today's world of "participation trophies" and 9th place ribbons where we're all winners for participating and feeling good about ourselves is more important than results. This guy expects his captains to perform well each and every flight. Good on him.

BBB

Well said BBB.

I thought it was unprofessional, both the Capt and the FO letter. Sorry Jack I am not in the military, you shotgun bast missed the mark. If the job has made you bitter towards the crew force quit.

Yes there are the 10%ers, hammer them as required.

Latest resources

Back