Fedex career path

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

joepilot29

I was just curious about what would be a good career path to get to Fedex. I am looking about 5-10 years down the road. My parents are friends with a current Fedex pilot and I talk to him on occasion. He is more than willing to write a letter of recomendation down the line.

I am currently a struggling CFI building time. Once I get some competative time I was thinking about applying with MAC or something similar to build some turbine time. Then try to move up to a job flying jets. I think I am one of the few that do not want to work for a regional (no offense). I assume Fedex wants alot of heavy jet time in the logbook.

Any advice would be helpful from people who have gone the civilian route to Fedex. Thanks in advance.

You don't need heavy jet time to get on with us, just at least 1000 turbine pilot in command. The biggest thing I flew was a regional jet before I was hired at FedEx. They do like to see that you've done something extra such as checkairman, sim instructor, chief pilot, etc.. Good luck to ya.

NightFlyer

Hey kid, you got a good shot......................................................................................if you're female or military.

Civilian or military it makes no difference. I'm 100% civilian and I made it. Both routes are good ones just weigh the pros and cons of each and decide what fits you the best.

NightFlyer

I don't know much about the civilian route, so I can't offer advice. But from my experience (military background), if I was in your shoes I would apply to the Tennessee ANG in Memphis. I don't know if they are hiring, but they are switching from C-141s to C-5s, so they may have some turnover in the pilots unwilling to learn a new aircraft. Plus you will be flying with FedEx pilots most of the time (and assuming you don't "screw the pooch" so to speak) you should have a great in with FedEx after you get some hours and upgrade. If they aren't hiring, I would look at any ANG or AFRES unit that flys heavies. If you are single and willing to go on the road, you can get close to 800-900 hours a year. Just some food for thought.

If you are unwilling to go the AFRES or ANG route, there were two individuals in my class from the corporate side of FedEx. Again, don't know what it takes to get in via that route. Having a friend of the family at FedEx is a good start, especially if your time frame is 5-10 years

IIRC, it was more than 1000 pic turbine. It was 1000 pic turbine over 20K pounds?

It's that 20K pounds that pretty much has me dead in that path....

lowslow said:
IIRC, it was more than 1000 pic turbine. It was 1000 pic turbine over 20K pounds?

Hmmm....I got all that and then some.....been waiting for over 2 years....I'm thinking " Female, Military " might not be too off the mark.

lowslow said:

I'm not sure why there's so much confusion on this issue, but it seems to crop up every few months. I'm not the subject matter expert (nor do I work there), but my understanding is that the 20K requirement is PISTON aircraft only...otherwise they just want 1000 turbine pic.

If I'm wrong about this, then an awful lot of my buds who only flew 1900's prior to getting hired sure did slip through the cracks somehow.

Latest resources

Back